May 8, 2012, 4:15 PM EDT
According to a report from the Hampton Daily Press on Tuesday afternoon, ACC All-Freshman Team member Dorian Finney-Smith has decided to transfer from Virginia Tech.
The school fired head coach Seth Greenberg in a surprise announcement on Monday, April 23, and named assistant coach James Johnson as their new head coach shortly thereafter. Since then, the Hokies lost their top signee, Montrezel Harris, and nearly lost another recruit, Marshall Wood as well.
But now the Hokies have lost one of their best young returning players. The forward from Portsmouth, VA averaged 6.3ppg and 7.1rpg in his first season in Blacksburg. While he did go through a lengthy scoring slump, missing 25 consecutive shots, he did score ten or more points in ten games.
One of the reasons the University chose to hire Johnson, who had left the school a month earlier to take an assistant job at Clemson, was in order to keep as much of the team structure in tact. Yet less than a month has passed since the firing, and two key parts of the Hokies’ future have decided against Blacksburg.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)