May 8, 2012, 4:15 PM EST
According to a report from the Hampton Daily Press on Tuesday afternoon, ACC All-Freshman Team member Dorian Finney-Smith has decided to transfer from Virginia Tech.
The school fired head coach Seth Greenberg in a surprise announcement on Monday, April 23, and named assistant coach James Johnson as their new head coach shortly thereafter. Since then, the Hokies lost their top signee, Montrezel Harris, and nearly lost another recruit, Marshall Wood as well.
But now the Hokies have lost one of their best young returning players. The forward from Portsmouth, VA averaged 6.3ppg and 7.1rpg in his first season in Blacksburg. While he did go through a lengthy scoring slump, missing 25 consecutive shots, he did score ten or more points in ten games.
One of the reasons the University chose to hire Johnson, who had left the school a month earlier to take an assistant job at Clemson, was in order to keep as much of the team structure in tact. Yet less than a month has passed since the firing, and two key parts of the Hokies’ future have decided against Blacksburg.
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 0
- Senior starters once again lead the way for No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing the most important part: His One Shining Moment 2
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 2
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 2
- After win at No. 18 SMU, No. 11 Louisville is once again peaking in March 0
- Wake Forest beats No. 4 Duke as Blue Devils struggle to score again 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)