May 8, 2012, 4:15 PM EDT
According to a report from the Hampton Daily Press on Tuesday afternoon, ACC All-Freshman Team member Dorian Finney-Smith has decided to transfer from Virginia Tech.
The school fired head coach Seth Greenberg in a surprise announcement on Monday, April 23, and named assistant coach James Johnson as their new head coach shortly thereafter. Since then, the Hokies lost their top signee, Montrezel Harris, and nearly lost another recruit, Marshall Wood as well.
But now the Hokies have lost one of their best young returning players. The forward from Portsmouth, VA averaged 6.3ppg and 7.1rpg in his first season in Blacksburg. While he did go through a lengthy scoring slump, missing 25 consecutive shots, he did score ten or more points in ten games.
One of the reasons the University chose to hire Johnson, who had left the school a month earlier to take an assistant job at Clemson, was in order to keep as much of the team structure in tact. Yet less than a month has passed since the firing, and two key parts of the Hokies’ future have decided against Blacksburg.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 5
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)