May 8, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
The big news of the day is that Big East commissioner John Marinatto is stepping down at the request of the school presidents. He was in charge of the conference for just three years, after being voted in by a unanimous decision, yet spent much of his time dealing with conference realignment. While he wasn’t the primary problem the Big East had to deal with, his reign did symbolize a problematic era. The Big Lead puts it best: He was not a good commissioner. A good person, yes, but not a good commissioner
– Matt Norlander is right, the next commissioner has to be of the “basketball-first” mindset
– The timeline of Marinatto’s reign as Commissioner of the Big East
– +100 to Voodoo Five for their fantastic “Office Space” reference
– A cute baby in Louisville posed for a remake of Anthony Davis’ “wingspan portrait”
– Some terrible news out of Southern California. Former-UCLA Bruin Gavin Smith, the father if current-USC forwaqrd Evan Smith, has gone missing and has not been seen in a week
– Andy Glockner provides a succinct recap of the off-season coaching carousel
– Early Monday afternoon, Jeff Goodman wrote that the Illinois State paper The Pantagraph was reporting that the school would name assistant coach Rob Judson as their new head coach, replacing Tim Jankovich, who left to take the “head coach in-waiting” job at SMU. But late Monday night, news broke that Illinois State would in fact hire Vanderbilt assistant Rob Muller, a former redbird player
– Indian’s Matt Roth, a fifth year senior guard who led the Hoosier’s in 3-point shooting, is without a scholarship for next season. Jerod Morris explains why Roth’s scholarship should not be in question
– I always love it when a school rewards a scholarship to a player for hard work and effort. Montana is doing just that with walk-on forward Nick Emerson
– John Calipari addressed the criticism of his nontraditional scheduling that he is imposing for next season. As you may have already heard, the Wildcats won’t be playing Indiana or North Carolina in non-conference affairs. As Andy Katz explains in “The Daily Word”, Calipari is looking to establish more neutral-site games. Despite the lack of big time games, Kentucky athletic director Mitch Barnhardt is confident that Rupp Arena will host at least one marquee non-conference game
– If there is one thing we can be sure of with Calipari’s fresh squad next season, it’s that they will play great defense
– As discussed in the previous weeks and months, it would make sense for CAA schools like VCU and George Mason to make the leap to the Atlantic-10. But in order to do so, they would have to be willing to spend a lot more money
– Anthony Bennett narrowed down his list to just Oregon and UNLV. Eamonn Brennan details the impact he would provide at the two schools
– The Ivy League is looking to improve its public profile, and will sign a major network deal with the NBC Sports Network. John Templon of Big Apple Buckets wonders what the league’s next step is
– The Big-XII has verbally agreed to a new ESPN/Fox deal
– Former-Marquette commit Aaron Durley has decided to attend TCU. With Trent Johnson at the helm, the Horned Frogs will look to make an improvement both on the court and on the recruiting trail
– Tulsa-transfer Jordan Clarkson, who was initially given stringent transfer-restrictions, has decided to attend Missouri. He will be the fifth transfer to join the program since Frank Haith took over in 2011
– Former-Ohio State guard Jordan Sibert will transfer to Dayton
Jul 30, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
Powell’s recruiting profile has risen thanks to the way he’s played throughout the summer.
Jul 30, 2015, 6:56 PM EDT
With Jarrod Uthoff and Adam Woodbury being seniors, having two front court commits in 2016 is good news for the Hawkeyes.
Jul 30, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
The Cardinal need to account for the loss of their top three scorers (and top two rebounders) from last season’s NIT champion team.
Jul 30, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
The Crusaders are getting back the league’s defensive player of the year.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT
Tyndall’s one NCAA tournament win sure was memorable.
Jul 30, 2015, 12:03 PM EDT
The cousin of former Pitt forward Chevon Troutman has developed into a quality recruit himself.
Jul 30, 2015, 11:43 AM EDT
Jul 30, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Nigel Hayes has game. He doesn’t have bars.
Jul 29, 2015, 11:40 PM EDT
According to the report SMU met with the NCAA Committee on Infractions last month.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:35 PM EDT
Harding won’t join the program until 2018 however, as he’ll be taking his two-year LDS mission beforehand.
Jul 29, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT
Director of player personnel Travis Diener is pegged as the best player in the games, with he and assistant Chris Carrawell trading some good-natured shots at each other.
Jul 29, 2015, 8:17 PM EDT
Only Aqeel Quinn, who’s out of eligibility, made more three-pointers for the Aztecs last season than Shrigley.
Jul 29, 2015, 6:42 PM EDT
All three programs made Davis a focal point in Las Vegas last weekend.
Jul 29, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Notes on Vance Jackson, Brendan Bailey and Javonte Smart included.
Jul 29, 2015, 3:17 PM EDT
I’m OK with this becoming a thing all August.
Jul 29, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Tyson Waterman is the latest victim in the fallout from the Southern Miss scandal.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
That’s now two of Kentucky’s elite freshmen with concerns looming.
Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Bruce Pearl was fired by Tennessee for lying about a barbecue.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
See which schools are still in play for one of the top rising juniors
Jul 29, 2015, 9:24 AM EDT
Suhr was on staff with the ‘Bad Boys’.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)