May 8, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
The big news of the day is that Big East commissioner John Marinatto is stepping down at the request of the school presidents. He was in charge of the conference for just three years, after being voted in by a unanimous decision, yet spent much of his time dealing with conference realignment. While he wasn’t the primary problem the Big East had to deal with, his reign did symbolize a problematic era. The Big Lead puts it best: He was not a good commissioner. A good person, yes, but not a good commissioner
– Matt Norlander is right, the next commissioner has to be of the “basketball-first” mindset
– The timeline of Marinatto’s reign as Commissioner of the Big East
– +100 to Voodoo Five for their fantastic “Office Space” reference
– A cute baby in Louisville posed for a remake of Anthony Davis’ “wingspan portrait”
– Some terrible news out of Southern California. Former-UCLA Bruin Gavin Smith, the father if current-USC forwaqrd Evan Smith, has gone missing and has not been seen in a week
– Andy Glockner provides a succinct recap of the off-season coaching carousel
– Early Monday afternoon, Jeff Goodman wrote that the Illinois State paper The Pantagraph was reporting that the school would name assistant coach Rob Judson as their new head coach, replacing Tim Jankovich, who left to take the “head coach in-waiting” job at SMU. But late Monday night, news broke that Illinois State would in fact hire Vanderbilt assistant Rob Muller, a former redbird player
– Indian’s Matt Roth, a fifth year senior guard who led the Hoosier’s in 3-point shooting, is without a scholarship for next season. Jerod Morris explains why Roth’s scholarship should not be in question
– I always love it when a school rewards a scholarship to a player for hard work and effort. Montana is doing just that with walk-on forward Nick Emerson
– John Calipari addressed the criticism of his nontraditional scheduling that he is imposing for next season. As you may have already heard, the Wildcats won’t be playing Indiana or North Carolina in non-conference affairs. As Andy Katz explains in “The Daily Word”, Calipari is looking to establish more neutral-site games. Despite the lack of big time games, Kentucky athletic director Mitch Barnhardt is confident that Rupp Arena will host at least one marquee non-conference game
– If there is one thing we can be sure of with Calipari’s fresh squad next season, it’s that they will play great defense
– As discussed in the previous weeks and months, it would make sense for CAA schools like VCU and George Mason to make the leap to the Atlantic-10. But in order to do so, they would have to be willing to spend a lot more money
– Anthony Bennett narrowed down his list to just Oregon and UNLV. Eamonn Brennan details the impact he would provide at the two schools
– The Ivy League is looking to improve its public profile, and will sign a major network deal with the NBC Sports Network. John Templon of Big Apple Buckets wonders what the league’s next step is
– The Big-XII has verbally agreed to a new ESPN/Fox deal
– Former-Marquette commit Aaron Durley has decided to attend TCU. With Trent Johnson at the helm, the Horned Frogs will look to make an improvement both on the court and on the recruiting trail
– Tulsa-transfer Jordan Clarkson, who was initially given stringent transfer-restrictions, has decided to attend Missouri. He will be the fifth transfer to join the program since Frank Haith took over in 2011
– Former-Ohio State guard Jordan Sibert will transfer to Dayton
Apr 26, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Josh Jackson went for 41 points, seven assists and six rebounds at the Under Armour Association.
Apr 26, 2015, 8:54 AM EDT
Ferrell would have been a second round pick.
Apr 25, 2015, 10:19 PM EDT
Taylor averaged 13.1 points and 4.6 assists per game last season, and his decision to return is a nice boost for head coach Shaka Smart.
Apr 25, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
Graduate students Max Bielfeldt and Tyler Harris were in Ames this weekend, as was former Marquette commit Nick Noskowiak.
Wisconsin’s Josh Gasser, Duje Dukan serve as honorary coaches for football team’s spring game (VIDEO)
Apr 25, 2015, 8:55 PM EDT
Gasser’s team beat Dukan’s by the final score of 35-7.
Apr 25, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Turner won MAC Rookie of the Year honors in 2013-14.
Apr 25, 2015, 5:59 PM EDT
Junior Etou averaged 7.4 points and 6.6 rebounds per game last season.
Apr 25, 2015, 4:33 PM EDT
King averaged 7.2 points and 4.8 rebounds per game last season at Memphis.
Apr 25, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT
Thornton will fill the void left by Tyus Jones at the point.
Apr 25, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Oregon landed a commitment from a former San Diego State pledge.
Apr 25, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
Maryland returns another reserve guard for next season.
Apr 25, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
The opening night of the EYBL had some high-level matchups and a great performance from the Houston Hoops duo of De’Aaron Fox and Jarred Vanderbilt.
Apr 25, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Get out of the way if M.J. Walker is sizing you up for a dunk.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:39 PM EDT
He will be attending law school.
Apr 24, 2015, 8:51 PM EDT
Kaleb Tarczewski decided to return to Arizona earlier in the day.
Apr 24, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
The fifth banner is now hanging in Cameron Indoor Stadium.
Apr 24, 2015, 6:56 PM EDT
DePaul lost a junior guard and a three-star forward (for the second time) on Friday evening.
Apr 24, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
He’ll be able to play immediately.
Apr 24, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
The second team All-MAC guard will have two years of eligibility left.
Apr 24, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
Walker’s career didn’t pan out the way anyone expected, but he’s headed to the pro game after two seasons.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)