May 8, 2012, 2:34 PM EDT
As first reported by Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv, former Wake Forest guard Tony Chennault has decided to finish his collegiate career at Villanova.
The 6-2 guard from Philadelphia who played at Neumann Goretti High School averaged 9.0 points, 3.2 rebounds and 2.8 assists per game for the Demon Deacons in 2011-12.
Chennault transferred to be closer to his mother, who is ill, and the hope is that he’ll qualify for a hardship waiver that will make him eligible to play immediately.
“His mom’s not the most well person in the world,” said Neumann Goretti head coach Carl Arrigale back in late March. “And sometimes when he comes home, I think it hits him.”
This is the second transfer to commit to Villanova this spring, with former Rice guard Dylan Ennis announcing his decision last month.
If Chennault is able to play immediately this gives a young Villanova backcourt a much-needed infusion of experience in light of Dominic Cheek and Maalik Wayns both going pro.
As it stands Villanova would have to lean heavily on sophomore Tyrone Johnson and incoming freshman Ryan Arcidiacono at the point if Chennault’s waiver request weren’t granted.
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 1
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)