May 9, 2012, 1:51 PM EDT
After a season in which the Bonnies finished 20-12 and won the Atlantic 10 tournament title, St. Bonaventure has agreed to terms with coach Mark Schmidt on a long-term deal, the school announced Wednesday.
The five-year extension keeps Schmidt with the Bonnies through the 2018-19 season.
“I’m pleased and honored by the commitment the University made to me and my staff,” Schmidt said in a release. “The players that my staff has successfully recruited the previous five years have brought our program back to prominence. We fully expect to continue building on the tradition of excellence and doing it the right way in years to come.”
This past season was Schmidt’s second straight winning season with St. Bonaventure in his five total years with the school.
Schmidt was previously at Robert Morris, where he coached for six seasons, amassing an overall record of 82-90. He has also been an assistant as Penn State and Xavier.
The Bonnies will be losing senior forward Andrew Nicholson in 2012-13, after he averaged 18.4 points and 8.5 rebounds in 2011-12.
Schmidt is a graduate of Boston College, where he played basketball.
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights