May 9, 2012, 2:43 PM EDT
Questions have been raised for some time about the relationship between academics and the student-athlete at the collegiate level. See: one-and-done, academic ineligibility, prep schools, etc., etc.
So it’s refreshing to see a story of an athlete who has excelled in the classroom, the type of story that is many times swept under the carpet, in favor of the juicier, more salacious types, the “scandals” and “NCAA investigations.”
Justin Hawkins averaged 7.8 points and 2.9 rebounds for UNLV this past season and this weekend he’ll be graduating from that university on the accelerated, three-year track.
The story is recounted by Ryan Greene of RunRebs.com, telling the story of how Hawkins loaded his academic calendar and took classes in the summer to put himself in a position to graduate early.
“I think that’s what actually helped push me,” Hawkins told RunRebs.com. “You’ve got to teach yourself, do the physical work, and no one’s there to tell you when you have to do a test, do a paper, take a quiz online. You have to be willing to go out to get your education.”
He is in hotel management, understandably a big major in the tourist-rich Las Vegas area, and Hawkins has even interned at the MGM Grand while balancing school and basketball.
He will have one year of eligibility left and will begin work in the fall on a master’s in public administration.
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 1
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)