May 9, 2012, 7:28 PM EDT
Wisconsin transfer Jarrod Uthoff made a major media splash last month when news broke that Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan had blocked Uthoff from transferring to 26 schools — the entire Big Ten, the entire ACC, Marquette, Iowa State and Florida.
But the pressure that the media put on Ryan forced him to change his approach; Uthoff’s only restriction is transferring within the Big Ten.
Uthoff is currently in the process of figuring out where he would like to transfer. He visited Creighton a couple of weeks ago and spent last weekend at Iowa State. He also plans on visiting Florida and (get this) Marquette.
If you are a diehard college hoops fan, than you will already be aware of this fact, but Marquette and Wisconsin have one of the fiercest non-conference rivalries in the country. Along with Kentucky-Louisville and Xavier-Cincinnati, they are one of the few schools where, unquestionably, the biggest rival is a non-conference opponent.
How heated is this rivalry?
The majority — even those (like myself) that hate the fact that transfers can be restricted — didn’t have an issue with Ryan blocking Uthoff’s transfer to Marquette.
Uthoff wouldn’t be the only player on Marquette’s roster with strong ties to Wisconsin. Vander Blue was committed to the Badgers before backing out and enrolling at Marquette, in part due to comments that he read on a blog. That would give Marquette two players that had, at some point, been scheduled to play for Wisconsin, but neither actually participated in a single game.
For my money, the last player I can think of that has played on both sides of a rivalry is Marvin Stone. Stone was a McDonald’s All-American in 1999 and ended up playing two-and-a-half years at Kentucky. He ended up transferring to Louisville where he played out his final year of eligibility.
There has to be more. Who am I missing?
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and a decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 3
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (3)