May 9, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
Marquette made its run to the Sweet 16 on the back of its two key seniors, Darius Johnson-Odom and Big East Player of the Year Jae Crowder.
Now that both have departed, the Golden Eagles are losing nearly 36 points and 12 rebounds per game.
There may be an answer though, and despite the unfortunate circumstances that bring him to Buzz Williams’s program, Arizona State transfer Trent Lockett could fill part of the void.
Lockett comes to Marquette after having graduated from Arizona State this spring and will be able to play right away under the NCAA’s graduate transfer rule.
He has transferred to Marquette, though, primarily to be close to his mother, who lives in Minnesota and was recently diagnosed with cancer.
Lockett was the leading scorer for the Sun Devils last season, averaging 13 points in nearly 35 minutes per game.
He can make an impact in the backcourt for the Golden Eagles immediately, surrounded by Vander Blue, who will be a junior, Todd Mayo, and Junior Cadougan.
Without Crowder and Johnson-Odom, it may be difficult for Marquette to repeat the success they enjoyed this season, but the senior leadership that Lockett can bring to this team (not to mention his capacity for scoring the basketball) will help the Golden Eagles in 2012-13.
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)