May 9, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
Marquette made its run to the Sweet 16 on the back of its two key seniors, Darius Johnson-Odom and Big East Player of the Year Jae Crowder.
Now that both have departed, the Golden Eagles are losing nearly 36 points and 12 rebounds per game.
There may be an answer though, and despite the unfortunate circumstances that bring him to Buzz Williams’s program, Arizona State transfer Trent Lockett could fill part of the void.
Lockett comes to Marquette after having graduated from Arizona State this spring and will be able to play right away under the NCAA’s graduate transfer rule.
He has transferred to Marquette, though, primarily to be close to his mother, who lives in Minnesota and was recently diagnosed with cancer.
Lockett was the leading scorer for the Sun Devils last season, averaging 13 points in nearly 35 minutes per game.
He can make an impact in the backcourt for the Golden Eagles immediately, surrounded by Vander Blue, who will be a junior, Todd Mayo, and Junior Cadougan.
Without Crowder and Johnson-Odom, it may be difficult for Marquette to repeat the success they enjoyed this season, but the senior leadership that Lockett can bring to this team (not to mention his capacity for scoring the basketball) will help the Golden Eagles in 2012-13.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)