May 9, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
Marquette made its run to the Sweet 16 on the back of its two key seniors, Darius Johnson-Odom and Big East Player of the Year Jae Crowder.
Now that both have departed, the Golden Eagles are losing nearly 36 points and 12 rebounds per game.
There may be an answer though, and despite the unfortunate circumstances that bring him to Buzz Williams’s program, Arizona State transfer Trent Lockett could fill part of the void.
Lockett comes to Marquette after having graduated from Arizona State this spring and will be able to play right away under the NCAA’s graduate transfer rule.
He has transferred to Marquette, though, primarily to be close to his mother, who lives in Minnesota and was recently diagnosed with cancer.
Lockett was the leading scorer for the Sun Devils last season, averaging 13 points in nearly 35 minutes per game.
He can make an impact in the backcourt for the Golden Eagles immediately, surrounded by Vander Blue, who will be a junior, Todd Mayo, and Junior Cadougan.
Without Crowder and Johnson-Odom, it may be difficult for Marquette to repeat the success they enjoyed this season, but the senior leadership that Lockett can bring to this team (not to mention his capacity for scoring the basketball) will help the Golden Eagles in 2012-13.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (2)