May 9, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
Marquette made its run to the Sweet 16 on the back of its two key seniors, Darius Johnson-Odom and Big East Player of the Year Jae Crowder.
Now that both have departed, the Golden Eagles are losing nearly 36 points and 12 rebounds per game.
There may be an answer though, and despite the unfortunate circumstances that bring him to Buzz Williams’s program, Arizona State transfer Trent Lockett could fill part of the void.
Lockett comes to Marquette after having graduated from Arizona State this spring and will be able to play right away under the NCAA’s graduate transfer rule.
He has transferred to Marquette, though, primarily to be close to his mother, who lives in Minnesota and was recently diagnosed with cancer.
Lockett was the leading scorer for the Sun Devils last season, averaging 13 points in nearly 35 minutes per game.
He can make an impact in the backcourt for the Golden Eagles immediately, surrounded by Vander Blue, who will be a junior, Todd Mayo, and Junior Cadougan.
Without Crowder and Johnson-Odom, it may be difficult for Marquette to repeat the success they enjoyed this season, but the senior leadership that Lockett can bring to this team (not to mention his capacity for scoring the basketball) will help the Golden Eagles in 2012-13.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 1
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)