May 9, 2012, 11:32 AM EST
Marquette made its run to the Sweet 16 on the back of its two key seniors, Darius Johnson-Odom and Big East Player of the Year Jae Crowder.
Now that both have departed, the Golden Eagles are losing nearly 36 points and 12 rebounds per game.
There may be an answer though, and despite the unfortunate circumstances that bring him to Buzz Williams’s program, Arizona State transfer Trent Lockett could fill part of the void.
Lockett comes to Marquette after having graduated from Arizona State this spring and will be able to play right away under the NCAA’s graduate transfer rule.
He has transferred to Marquette, though, primarily to be close to his mother, who lives in Minnesota and was recently diagnosed with cancer.
Lockett was the leading scorer for the Sun Devils last season, averaging 13 points in nearly 35 minutes per game.
He can make an impact in the backcourt for the Golden Eagles immediately, surrounded by Vander Blue, who will be a junior, Todd Mayo, and Junior Cadougan.
Without Crowder and Johnson-Odom, it may be difficult for Marquette to repeat the success they enjoyed this season, but the senior leadership that Lockett can bring to this team (not to mention his capacity for scoring the basketball) will help the Golden Eagles in 2012-13.
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)