May 12, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
Same ol’, same ol’ on the recruiting trail for John Calipari, even with a national title in tow. You know the drill: land the player everyone in the game would give their left… eye for, then mess around and drop in a few other blue-chip dudes to carry his water. Ho-hum, yawn, back to bed.
Once Nerlens Noel gave his verbal notice of intent to join the Wildcats next season, much of the pressure was off for Coach Cal. He can probably find another 17-year-old hoop genius, give him a come-hither look, and finish off that No. 1 recruiting class ranking the easy way. Or, he could do something a little different, and add some age and experience through the transfer ranks. John Clay of the Lexington Herald Leader has a few thoughts on which players might be in the running for that final, coveted slot on the defending national championship squad:
Julius Mays: A 6-foot-2 guard from Marion, Ind., Mays is transferring after averaging 14 points last year at Wright State. He played two years previously at North Carolina State. He is graduating, so is eligible to play immediately.
Montrezl Harrell: The 6-foot-7 forward from Hargrave Military Academy was a top-100 recruit when he signed with Virginia Tech and Harrell has asked for his release.
Tony Trocha: The 6-10 forward from Colombia, who played at a Houston prep school, is reportedly attempting to reclassify and join the Class of 2012.
Torian Graham: The 6-4 guard from Raleigh, N.C., bounced around at four different high schools before landing at Christian Faith. He may attend prep school, pushing him back to a Class of 2013 recruit.Amile Jefferson: For a while, there was a report each week the 6-foot-7 forward from Philadelphia was ready to announce his decision. It still hasn’t come.
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)