May 12, 2012, 8:00 PM EST
Same ol’, same ol’ on the recruiting trail for John Calipari, even with a national title in tow. You know the drill: land the player everyone in the game would give their left… eye for, then mess around and drop in a few other blue-chip dudes to carry his water. Ho-hum, yawn, back to bed.
Once Nerlens Noel gave his verbal notice of intent to join the Wildcats next season, much of the pressure was off for Coach Cal. He can probably find another 17-year-old hoop genius, give him a come-hither look, and finish off that No. 1 recruiting class ranking the easy way. Or, he could do something a little different, and add some age and experience through the transfer ranks. John Clay of the Lexington Herald Leader has a few thoughts on which players might be in the running for that final, coveted slot on the defending national championship squad:
Julius Mays: A 6-foot-2 guard from Marion, Ind., Mays is transferring after averaging 14 points last year at Wright State. He played two years previously at North Carolina State. He is graduating, so is eligible to play immediately.
Montrezl Harrell: The 6-foot-7 forward from Hargrave Military Academy was a top-100 recruit when he signed with Virginia Tech and Harrell has asked for his release.
Tony Trocha: The 6-10 forward from Colombia, who played at a Houston prep school, is reportedly attempting to reclassify and join the Class of 2012.
Torian Graham: The 6-4 guard from Raleigh, N.C., bounced around at four different high schools before landing at Christian Faith. He may attend prep school, pushing him back to a Class of 2013 recruit.Amile Jefferson: For a while, there was a report each week the 6-foot-7 forward from Philadelphia was ready to announce his decision. It still hasn’t come.
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Figuring out the ACC 0
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games 4
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 5
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 2
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings (2)