May 12, 2012, 12:12 PM EDT
Pepperdine has hired former Syracuse standout and nine-year NBA veteran Jason Hart, the school announced Saturday morning.
Hart played for nine NBA teams in his career at the pro level, averaging 4.8 points per game. His best season came in 2004-05 with Charlotte, when he averaged nine points and five rebounds per game.
“I am excited to have Jason join our basketball family,” Pepperdine head coach Marty Wilson said in a statement. “His experiences as a player at the highest level will bring a unique benefit to our program. Jason is a young man that has proven that hard work and persistence will pay off and I know that his messages will be well received by our players.”
Hart is a native of the Los Angeles area, having played at Inglewood and Westchester High Schools, before committing to Syracuse.
He graduated from Syracuse in 2000 as the school’s all-time steals leader and with the second most assists in Orange history. He was selected to the All-Big East first team during his senior season.
Since his retirement in 2010, he has coached on the AAU circuit and at Taft High School (Calif.). He led Taft to a 29-4 record this past season and the Los Angeles City Section Division I title.
“Growing up in Los Angeles, I used to hear about Pepperdine being really good,” said Hart in the release. “I know they’ve had some tough times but Coach Wilson and his staff are excited about the direction of the program, and I want to be part of something special they’re building.”
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)