May 12, 2012, 10:37 AM EDT
Jones III entered the NBA draft after his sophomore season at Baylor, where he averaged 14 points and 7.7 rebounds per game for the Bears.
He came under heavy criticism toward the middle and end of this past season, as critics isolated sub-par performances against Missouri, Kansas, and Texas and began to ask how well his skills would translate to the NBA level.
He is projected to be a Top 10 pick in June’s draft, and at 6-10, 225 pounds, scouts see a great deal of potential in the athletic forward.
With the impending NBA lockout last season, Jones III chose to return to school for his sophomore year despite being a projected Top 5 pick, though in hindsight the move may have slightly shifted his draft position downward.
He was the subject of a revealing feature piece in March that detailed his difficult upbringing and the obstacles he has overcome on his path to the NBA, including the fact that his family was nearly homeless for a time, moving from hotel to hotel during his final high school season.
The sizeable NBA contract that he is due should certainly help his financial situation.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)