May 12, 2012, 10:37 AM EST
Jones III entered the NBA draft after his sophomore season at Baylor, where he averaged 14 points and 7.7 rebounds per game for the Bears.
He came under heavy criticism toward the middle and end of this past season, as critics isolated sub-par performances against Missouri, Kansas, and Texas and began to ask how well his skills would translate to the NBA level.
He is projected to be a Top 10 pick in June’s draft, and at 6-10, 225 pounds, scouts see a great deal of potential in the athletic forward.
With the impending NBA lockout last season, Jones III chose to return to school for his sophomore year despite being a projected Top 5 pick, though in hindsight the move may have slightly shifted his draft position downward.
He was the subject of a revealing feature piece in March that detailed his difficult upbringing and the obstacles he has overcome on his path to the NBA, including the fact that his family was nearly homeless for a time, moving from hotel to hotel during his final high school season.
The sizeable NBA contract that he is due should certainly help his financial situation.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)