May 12, 2012, 10:37 AM EDT
Jones III entered the NBA draft after his sophomore season at Baylor, where he averaged 14 points and 7.7 rebounds per game for the Bears.
He came under heavy criticism toward the middle and end of this past season, as critics isolated sub-par performances against Missouri, Kansas, and Texas and began to ask how well his skills would translate to the NBA level.
He is projected to be a Top 10 pick in June’s draft, and at 6-10, 225 pounds, scouts see a great deal of potential in the athletic forward.
With the impending NBA lockout last season, Jones III chose to return to school for his sophomore year despite being a projected Top 5 pick, though in hindsight the move may have slightly shifted his draft position downward.
He was the subject of a revealing feature piece in March that detailed his difficult upbringing and the obstacles he has overcome on his path to the NBA, including the fact that his family was nearly homeless for a time, moving from hotel to hotel during his final high school season.
The sizeable NBA contract that he is due should certainly help his financial situation.
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 0
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- 2014 Big East Tournament Preview: Can Villanova finally beat Creighton? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 4
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 5
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 8
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)