May 12, 2012, 10:37 AM EST
Jones III entered the NBA draft after his sophomore season at Baylor, where he averaged 14 points and 7.7 rebounds per game for the Bears.
He came under heavy criticism toward the middle and end of this past season, as critics isolated sub-par performances against Missouri, Kansas, and Texas and began to ask how well his skills would translate to the NBA level.
He is projected to be a Top 10 pick in June’s draft, and at 6-10, 225 pounds, scouts see a great deal of potential in the athletic forward.
With the impending NBA lockout last season, Jones III chose to return to school for his sophomore year despite being a projected Top 5 pick, though in hindsight the move may have slightly shifted his draft position downward.
He was the subject of a revealing feature piece in March that detailed his difficult upbringing and the obstacles he has overcome on his path to the NBA, including the fact that his family was nearly homeless for a time, moving from hotel to hotel during his final high school season.
The sizeable NBA contract that he is due should certainly help his financial situation.
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)