May 12, 2012, 10:37 AM EDT
Jones III entered the NBA draft after his sophomore season at Baylor, where he averaged 14 points and 7.7 rebounds per game for the Bears.
He came under heavy criticism toward the middle and end of this past season, as critics isolated sub-par performances against Missouri, Kansas, and Texas and began to ask how well his skills would translate to the NBA level.
He is projected to be a Top 10 pick in June’s draft, and at 6-10, 225 pounds, scouts see a great deal of potential in the athletic forward.
With the impending NBA lockout last season, Jones III chose to return to school for his sophomore year despite being a projected Top 5 pick, though in hindsight the move may have slightly shifted his draft position downward.
He was the subject of a revealing feature piece in March that detailed his difficult upbringing and the obstacles he has overcome on his path to the NBA, including the fact that his family was nearly homeless for a time, moving from hotel to hotel during his final high school season.
The sizeable NBA contract that he is due should certainly help his financial situation.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)