May 13, 2012, 5:01 PM EST
Former Miami athletic director Paul Dee, who oversaw the school’s move from the Big East to the ACC, passed away on Saturday night at age 65 according to the Associated Press.
Dee, who received both his master’s and law degrees from the University of Miami, was athletic director at the school from 1993 to 2008.
“We lost a teacher, leader, friend and a truly loyal man today,” Miami athletic director Shawn Eichorst said. “Paul Dee devoted every ounce of energy and passion to the University of Miami over many, many years.
“The Hurricane family sends its condolences and grieves along with his family and friends.”
Dee’s biggest contribution to the basketball program was the construction of the Bank United Center, which has been the Hurricanes’ home since 2003.
Miami’s first game in the building was a 64-61 overtime win over North Carolina on January 4, 2003.
Dee, who began his working career at Miami as its general counsel in 1991, was also lauded for his work to improve the women’s sports programs.
Dee was a member of the NCAA’s committee on infractions, which famously handed USC a two-year bowl ban in 2010 for violations committed during Reggie Bush’s time on campus.
That would come up a year later as possible violations at Miami came to light in connection with one-time booster Nevin Shapiro.
Many recited Dee’s words (“higher-profile players require higher-profile monitoring”) when handing USC their punishment in the aftermath of that discovery.
Funeral arrangements have yet to be announced.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)