May 13, 2012, 5:01 PM EST
Former Miami athletic director Paul Dee, who oversaw the school’s move from the Big East to the ACC, passed away on Saturday night at age 65 according to the Associated Press.
Dee, who received both his master’s and law degrees from the University of Miami, was athletic director at the school from 1993 to 2008.
“We lost a teacher, leader, friend and a truly loyal man today,” Miami athletic director Shawn Eichorst said. “Paul Dee devoted every ounce of energy and passion to the University of Miami over many, many years.
“The Hurricane family sends its condolences and grieves along with his family and friends.”
Dee’s biggest contribution to the basketball program was the construction of the Bank United Center, which has been the Hurricanes’ home since 2003.
Miami’s first game in the building was a 64-61 overtime win over North Carolina on January 4, 2003.
Dee, who began his working career at Miami as its general counsel in 1991, was also lauded for his work to improve the women’s sports programs.
Dee was a member of the NCAA’s committee on infractions, which famously handed USC a two-year bowl ban in 2010 for violations committed during Reggie Bush’s time on campus.
That would come up a year later as possible violations at Miami came to light in connection with one-time booster Nevin Shapiro.
Many recited Dee’s words (“higher-profile players require higher-profile monitoring”) when handing USC their punishment in the aftermath of that discovery.
Funeral arrangements have yet to be announced.
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 3
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)