May 13, 2012, 5:01 PM EDT
Former Miami athletic director Paul Dee, who oversaw the school’s move from the Big East to the ACC, passed away on Saturday night at age 65 according to the Associated Press.
Dee, who received both his master’s and law degrees from the University of Miami, was athletic director at the school from 1993 to 2008.
“We lost a teacher, leader, friend and a truly loyal man today,” Miami athletic director Shawn Eichorst said. “Paul Dee devoted every ounce of energy and passion to the University of Miami over many, many years.
“The Hurricane family sends its condolences and grieves along with his family and friends.”
Dee’s biggest contribution to the basketball program was the construction of the Bank United Center, which has been the Hurricanes’ home since 2003.
Miami’s first game in the building was a 64-61 overtime win over North Carolina on January 4, 2003.
Dee, who began his working career at Miami as its general counsel in 1991, was also lauded for his work to improve the women’s sports programs.
Dee was a member of the NCAA’s committee on infractions, which famously handed USC a two-year bowl ban in 2010 for violations committed during Reggie Bush’s time on campus.
That would come up a year later as possible violations at Miami came to light in connection with one-time booster Nevin Shapiro.
Many recited Dee’s words (“higher-profile players require higher-profile monitoring”) when handing USC their punishment in the aftermath of that discovery.
Funeral arrangements have yet to be announced.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)