May 13, 2012, 5:01 PM EDT
Former Miami athletic director Paul Dee, who oversaw the school’s move from the Big East to the ACC, passed away on Saturday night at age 65 according to the Associated Press.
Dee, who received both his master’s and law degrees from the University of Miami, was athletic director at the school from 1993 to 2008.
“We lost a teacher, leader, friend and a truly loyal man today,” Miami athletic director Shawn Eichorst said. “Paul Dee devoted every ounce of energy and passion to the University of Miami over many, many years.
“The Hurricane family sends its condolences and grieves along with his family and friends.”
Dee’s biggest contribution to the basketball program was the construction of the Bank United Center, which has been the Hurricanes’ home since 2003.
Miami’s first game in the building was a 64-61 overtime win over North Carolina on January 4, 2003.
Dee, who began his working career at Miami as its general counsel in 1991, was also lauded for his work to improve the women’s sports programs.
Dee was a member of the NCAA’s committee on infractions, which famously handed USC a two-year bowl ban in 2010 for violations committed during Reggie Bush’s time on campus.
That would come up a year later as possible violations at Miami came to light in connection with one-time booster Nevin Shapiro.
Many recited Dee’s words (“higher-profile players require higher-profile monitoring”) when handing USC their punishment in the aftermath of that discovery.
Funeral arrangements have yet to be announced.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)