May 13, 2012, 8:07 PM EDT
Kentucky received some good news on the recruiting trail on Sunday evening as former Wright State guard Julius Mays has decided to finish his collegiate career in Lexington according to CatsIllustrated.com.
Mays, who began his collegiate career at NC State, averaged 14.1 points, 2.8 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game for Wright State last season.
His play earned him second team All-Horizon League honors as well as the league’s Newcomer of the Year award.
Per NCAA rules, Mays will be eligible to play immediately. This places him in a rotation that includes another player who began his career at NC State in point guard Ryan Harrow.
Mississippi State transfer Twany Beckham didn’t see much time last season but that will likely change in 2012-13 due to the heavy roster turnover.
Little Rock native Archie Goodwin will also be a factor on the perimeter for the Wildcats, who have to replace their top six players from last season’s national championship team.
Mays is the fifth member of Kentucky’s 2012 class, with three being front court players. Five-star prospects Nerlens Noel and Alex Poythress should contribute immediately while 7-footer Willie Cauley-Stein is more of a project.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris