May 13, 2012, 8:07 PM EST
Kentucky received some good news on the recruiting trail on Sunday evening as former Wright State guard Julius Mays has decided to finish his collegiate career in Lexington according to CatsIllustrated.com.
Mays, who began his collegiate career at NC State, averaged 14.1 points, 2.8 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game for Wright State last season.
His play earned him second team All-Horizon League honors as well as the league’s Newcomer of the Year award.
Per NCAA rules, Mays will be eligible to play immediately. This places him in a rotation that includes another player who began his career at NC State in point guard Ryan Harrow.
Mississippi State transfer Twany Beckham didn’t see much time last season but that will likely change in 2012-13 due to the heavy roster turnover.
Little Rock native Archie Goodwin will also be a factor on the perimeter for the Wildcats, who have to replace their top six players from last season’s national championship team.
Mays is the fifth member of Kentucky’s 2012 class, with three being front court players. Five-star prospects Nerlens Noel and Alex Poythress should contribute immediately while 7-footer Willie Cauley-Stein is more of a project.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 25
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (25)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)