May 13, 2012, 11:00 PM EST
For a program that did so much to repair its image in the aftermath of their brawl with rival Xavier in December, Sunday’s news isn’t the best for the Cincinnati Bearcats.
According to Fox 19 in Cincinnati a bouncer at PLAY nightclub filed a police report alleging that he was punched and kicked by members of the basketball team on Saturday night at the club.
Bouncer Brian McLucas said that the problem arose when he asked the players to leave the club’s VIP section after players sat down at another patron’s table and began drinking her alcohol and verbally abusing her.
“I’m asking you guys to get up. You’re drinking her alcohol,” said McLucas. “And I said, you guys are making rude racial remarks towards her. And I said you guys need to get up.”
The players apparently refused to move and became rather vocal at that point. “I said you guys need to calm down. And whenever I did that I looked to the right of me and right as I looked to the right of me I seen the dude take three quick steps and punch me in the eye,” said McLucas.
According to McLucas PLAY management knows which players were on the VIP list Saturday night, and the club gave Fox 19 no comment on the situation when approached.
The same can be said for the Cincinnati athletic department, which according to the report was not aware of the alleged altercation.
UPDATE: Per Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com, athletic director Whit Babcock issued the following statement:
“Right now we are working to gather information and facts,” Babcock said. “While we certainly don’t want to rush to judgment and will allow for due process, we also want to strongly emphasize that we hold all of our student-athletes to a high standard for their behavior in the community. It is a privilege to play for and represent UC. It is not a right. We have made great strides in our program and this type situation is not what UC athletics is about or will be about. As of now, to my understanding, there are no charges filed, only accusations. We will next comment after we have had time to gather facts and our process moves along or is completed. We will invoke disciplinary action if any of our student-athletes acted in an inappropriate manner.”
h/t to Down the Drive
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)