May 13, 2012, 1:27 PM EDT
After the firing of head coach Seth Greenberg, freshman forward Dorian Finney-Smith asked for and was granted his release from Virginia Tech.
Now, the 6-8, 192-pound Virginia native is looking for a new home and, according to a report from Jason Smith of the Commercial Appeal, Memphis is among those in the picture.
Finney-Smith averaged 6.3 points and seven rebounds for the Hokies last season, on his way to being named to the ACC All-Freshman team.
Prior to his commitment to Virginia Tech, Finney-Smith was a Top 30 prospect who was being pursued by schools that included Florida, Virginia, Wake Forest, and Old Dominion.
According to reports, Finney-Smith was never comfortable in his one season with Virginia Tech, and that he began contemplating a transfer in January.
For Virginia Tech, this means the beginning of a new era under coach James Johnson, who ultimately decided not to take an assistant coaching job at Clemson, and instead return to fill Greenberg’s vacancy with the Hokies.
Another difficult blow was levied in recent weeks, as top Virginia Tech recruit Montrezl Harrell asked for a release and is now considering other schools.
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)