May 14, 2012, 10:51 AM EST
UPDATE: John Clay of the Lexington Herald-Leader, the first to report the news in the story below, has now pointed out that the account from which the tweet to Mays was sent could, in fact, be a fake. The account was deleted yesterday. NBCSports.com regrets its part in the erroneous report.
Kentucky picked up a commitment last night from Wright State transfer Julius Mays, but not everyone thinks it is was a good decision.
Joe Luce, Mays’s coach at Marion High School (Ind.), took to Twitter last night to express the displeasure with his former player headed to play for coach John Calipari and the Wildcats.
“Just think it’s a bad fit at Kentucky,” he tweeted. “I just want him to be happy and successful. Don’t think UK knows him.”
Luce had previously told media outlets that he expected Mays to sign with Purdue, after Mays visited there this past weekend.
Mays began his college career at NC State, where he played two seasons before transferring to Wright State.
After sitting out a season in compliance with NCAA rules, Mays averaged 14.1 points and 2.8 rebounds for the Raiders in 2011-12.
Under the NCAA’s graduate transfer rule, Mays can play right away at Kentucky.
He will add immediate backcourt depth to a team that lost three key guards to the NBA draft this spring: Marquis Teague, Doron Lamb, and Darius Miller. He will be stepping in alongside Top 100 guard Archie Goodwin.
Luce also tweeted directly to Mays, saying, “Worried about this choice. Hope you know best.”
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Figuring out the ACC 0
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games 2
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 5
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 2
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)