May 14, 2012, 10:51 AM EDT
UPDATE: John Clay of the Lexington Herald-Leader, the first to report the news in the story below, has now pointed out that the account from which the tweet to Mays was sent could, in fact, be a fake. The account was deleted yesterday. NBCSports.com regrets its part in the erroneous report.
Kentucky picked up a commitment last night from Wright State transfer Julius Mays, but not everyone thinks it is was a good decision.
Joe Luce, Mays’s coach at Marion High School (Ind.), took to Twitter last night to express the displeasure with his former player headed to play for coach John Calipari and the Wildcats.
“Just think it’s a bad fit at Kentucky,” he tweeted. “I just want him to be happy and successful. Don’t think UK knows him.”
Luce had previously told media outlets that he expected Mays to sign with Purdue, after Mays visited there this past weekend.
Mays began his college career at NC State, where he played two seasons before transferring to Wright State.
After sitting out a season in compliance with NCAA rules, Mays averaged 14.1 points and 2.8 rebounds for the Raiders in 2011-12.
Under the NCAA’s graduate transfer rule, Mays can play right away at Kentucky.
He will add immediate backcourt depth to a team that lost three key guards to the NBA draft this spring: Marquis Teague, Doron Lamb, and Darius Miller. He will be stepping in alongside Top 100 guard Archie Goodwin.
Luce also tweeted directly to Mays, saying, “Worried about this choice. Hope you know best.”
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)