May 14, 2012, 10:51 AM EDT
UPDATE: John Clay of the Lexington Herald-Leader, the first to report the news in the story below, has now pointed out that the account from which the tweet to Mays was sent could, in fact, be a fake. The account was deleted yesterday. NBCSports.com regrets its part in the erroneous report.
Kentucky picked up a commitment last night from Wright State transfer Julius Mays, but not everyone thinks it is was a good decision.
Joe Luce, Mays’s coach at Marion High School (Ind.), took to Twitter last night to express the displeasure with his former player headed to play for coach John Calipari and the Wildcats.
“Just think it’s a bad fit at Kentucky,” he tweeted. “I just want him to be happy and successful. Don’t think UK knows him.”
Luce had previously told media outlets that he expected Mays to sign with Purdue, after Mays visited there this past weekend.
Mays began his college career at NC State, where he played two seasons before transferring to Wright State.
After sitting out a season in compliance with NCAA rules, Mays averaged 14.1 points and 2.8 rebounds for the Raiders in 2011-12.
Under the NCAA’s graduate transfer rule, Mays can play right away at Kentucky.
He will add immediate backcourt depth to a team that lost three key guards to the NBA draft this spring: Marquis Teague, Doron Lamb, and Darius Miller. He will be stepping in alongside Top 100 guard Archie Goodwin.
Luce also tweeted directly to Mays, saying, “Worried about this choice. Hope you know best.”
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)