May 14, 2012, 9:03 PM EDT
Earlier Monday, we talked about a rule change involving the potential banning of decals put on the floor during some of the early season events.
That’s not the only change that could end up being made:
- The rules committee recommended “more stringent adherence to officiating guidelines regarding bench decorum by coaches and bench personnel next season”. What does that mean? The committee wants to see more technical fouls for things like cursing, prolonged arguments, threatening or derogatory remarks and references to the integrity of the official.
- Also, the committee wants to see officials eliminate “running or jumping ‘in disbelief’ over a call/non-call” and “emphatically removing one’s coat in response to a call/no-call”. Priorities, you know.
- The committee believed that the block/charge call was missed on too many occasions. Some of the guidelines they approved to improve the impact of the call are expected, but the most important is this: “it appears that a defender is being rewarded solely for being outside the arc, without considering the other aspects of the rules.” The implementation of the three-foot arc resulted in referees focusing on the defender’s feet more than whether or not he was actually set to take a charge.
- Perhaps the most interesting discussion revolved around allowing coaching staffs to have mobile devices — i.e. laptops, iPads or other tablets — on the bench. On the one hand, it would make it easier for those staffs to chart statistics and call out plays. On the other hand, it would allow teams to break down what an opponent is doing during the game. It is not difficult to pull video from a internet stream of the game, which means that if, say, a particular defense is bothering a team, they would be able to watch it over and over on film on the bench.
Would that hurt the game? I honestly don’t think so. Is it really a big deal if a student manager is pulling video of offensive sets run by a team and sending it to an iPad that a coach has on the bench? It’s pointless to fight technology. Changes are going to happen, you might as well embrace it.
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final