May 14, 2012, 1:51 PM EDT
Nolan Richardson III, the son of and assistant to former Arkansas head coach Nolan Richardson, has been found dead in in his home, Tulsa, Okla., police said Monday.
According to police, Richardson III’s wife found him dead in their Tulsa home on Sunday at approximately 3 p.m.
Police have not officially released a cause of death, but officer Jason Willingham said Richardson III appeared to have died by natural causes.
He was 47 years old.
Richardson III was a graduate of Langston University in Oklahoma City and served as an assistant under his father at Arkansas, before becoming the head coach at Tennessee State. He was the head coach for three seasons, finishing with an overall record of 23-45.
The journey of the elder Richardson, who was the head coach at Arkansas from 1985-2002, was detailed in the recent documentary “40 Minutes of Hell.”
Richardson has endured tragedy in his past. In 1987, his 15-year-old daughter Yvonne died of leukemia.
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights