May 14, 2012, 1:51 PM EDT
Nolan Richardson III, the son of and assistant to former Arkansas head coach Nolan Richardson, has been found dead in in his home, Tulsa, Okla., police said Monday.
According to police, Richardson III’s wife found him dead in their Tulsa home on Sunday at approximately 3 p.m.
Police have not officially released a cause of death, but officer Jason Willingham said Richardson III appeared to have died by natural causes.
He was 47 years old.
Richardson III was a graduate of Langston University in Oklahoma City and served as an assistant under his father at Arkansas, before becoming the head coach at Tennessee State. He was the head coach for three seasons, finishing with an overall record of 23-45.
The journey of the elder Richardson, who was the head coach at Arkansas from 1985-2002, was detailed in the recent documentary “40 Minutes of Hell.”
Richardson has endured tragedy in his past. In 1987, his 15-year-old daughter Yvonne died of leukemia.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)