May 14, 2012, 11:23 AM EDT
Days after intra-conference foe George Mason affirmed that it would remain in the Colonial Athletic Association, Virginia Commonwealth is headed to the Atlantic 10, Brett McMurphy of CBSSports.com is reporting.
According to McMurphy, an official announcement will come from the school this week.
Virginia Commonwealth joins Butler as the two newest members of the conference.
With these two additions, the A-10 has added teams that have combined for three Final Four appearances in the past three seasons.
The move is an attempt to fill in for the losses of Temple, which has moved to the Big East, and Charlotte, which has departed for Conference-USA.
VCU reportedly favored the move because the CAA is more prone to being a “one-bid” conference, whereas the Atlantic 10 has sent multiple teams to the NCAA tournament for each of the past five seasons.
As McMurphy points out, the CAA has had just four at-large bids into the tournament since 2000, while the Atlantic 10 had three just this past year.
Head coach Shaka Smart has led the Rams to success over the past three seasons and has increased VCU’s national brand in the process.
After winning the CBI championship in 2009-10, the Rams enjoyed a run to the Final Four in 2010-11, and came back this past season, making it to the Round of 32 of the NCAA tournament.
The Atlantic 10 was reportedly in talks with George Mason as well, but was only looking to add one more team, which ended with this news of VCU’s move.
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)