May 15, 2012, 1:32 PM EDT
One of the nicer benefit events that takes place in college basketball is the “Shots From the Heart” competition run by CollegeInsider.com.
The event began in honor of the late Skip Prosser, who passed in July of 2007 due to a heart attack.
“Shots From the Heart” is a project that involves CollegeInsider.com, the Skip Prosser Foundation and the American Heart Association with the goal of bringing attention to heart disease.
- Shots 1-10 are worth 1 point
- Shots 11-15 are worth 2 points
- Shots 16-20 are worth 3 points
- Shots 21-24 are worth 4 points
- Shot 25 is worth 5 points
The champion of the assistants bracket has been crowned, with Boston University assistant Carmen Maciariello outlasting Butler assistant (.pdf link) Darnell Archey in the finals.
Both made all 25 of their “regulation” free throws, resulting in a 56-56 tie. But Maciariello would go on to make 22 more free throws and the 47 straight makes resulted in a championship.
The champion of the head coaches bracket has yet to be determined, with Arizona’s Sean Miller taking on Detroit’s Ray McCallum, Sr. in the finals.
Photo credit: College Chalktalk
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights