May 16, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
It was a typical Wednesday afternoon for me when this tweet, from Matt Jones of Kentucky Sports Radio, popped up in my timeline:
“Can anyone tell me why the water outside of Rupp Arena is red?”
Sure enough, the water in Lexington’s Triangle Park fountain — which is located right next to Rupp Arena — was flowing blood red. Seeing as Kentucky’s fan base is known as the Big Blue Nation and the color of their biggest rival, the Louisville Cardinals, is red, this had to be some type of glorious prank, right?
Unfortunately, no. Apparently, the water as supposed to be dyed pink to promote a movie in the park series that kicks off with “Pretty in Pink” on Friday.
That is probably for the best, however. Remember, the state of Kentucky is home to a pair of fan bases that take college hoops quite seriously. Their Final Four matchup caused a fight between 70 year olds in a dialysis clinic. UK’s national title set off riots in the streets of Lexington. I can’t imagine what a prank war between the two fan bases would devolve into, but I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility that it could spark World War III.
Picture via Brett Dawson of Rivals.com.
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 0
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games