May 17, 2012, 2:24 PM EDT
Indianapolis Tech (Ind.) forward Trey Lyles, a 6-8, 210-pound prospect from the Class of 2014, has announced that he will play for Canada at the FIBA Americas U18 Championship in Brazil next month.
Lyles, who was born in Canada, is committed to Indiana and is a Top 10 recruit in his class.
He is expected to play alongside Andrew Wiggins, the top player in 2014 and possibly the best prep player in the country right now.
“I know it was a tough decision for him,” Tech coach Jason Delaney told the Indianapolis Star. “The feedback from the USA team was that he’d have a good chance to make it. He has a lot of pride in his country. But he was born in Canada so there’s a good opportunity for him on that team as well.”
Lyles averaged 21 points and 14.2 rebounds this past season and won Player of the Year in the city of Indianapolis.
The most interesting thing about Lyles, perhaps, is the fact that he committed to Indiana prior to his freshman year of high school.
It continues the stream of good news for the Indiana program, which scored a commitment from Paul VI (Va.) guard Stan Robinson Wednesday night.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)