May 17, 2012, 2:24 PM EDT
Indianapolis Tech (Ind.) forward Trey Lyles, a 6-8, 210-pound prospect from the Class of 2014, has announced that he will play for Canada at the FIBA Americas U18 Championship in Brazil next month.
Lyles, who was born in Canada, is committed to Indiana and is a Top 10 recruit in his class.
He is expected to play alongside Andrew Wiggins, the top player in 2014 and possibly the best prep player in the country right now.
“I know it was a tough decision for him,” Tech coach Jason Delaney told the Indianapolis Star. “The feedback from the USA team was that he’d have a good chance to make it. He has a lot of pride in his country. But he was born in Canada so there’s a good opportunity for him on that team as well.”
Lyles averaged 21 points and 14.2 rebounds this past season and won Player of the Year in the city of Indianapolis.
The most interesting thing about Lyles, perhaps, is the fact that he committed to Indiana prior to his freshman year of high school.
It continues the stream of good news for the Indiana program, which scored a commitment from Paul VI (Va.) guard Stan Robinson Wednesday night.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)