May 17, 2012, 2:24 PM EST
Indianapolis Tech (Ind.) forward Trey Lyles, a 6-8, 210-pound prospect from the Class of 2014, has announced that he will play for Canada at the FIBA Americas U18 Championship in Brazil next month.
Lyles, who was born in Canada, is committed to Indiana and is a Top 10 recruit in his class.
He is expected to play alongside Andrew Wiggins, the top player in 2014 and possibly the best prep player in the country right now.
“I know it was a tough decision for him,” Tech coach Jason Delaney told the Indianapolis Star. “The feedback from the USA team was that he’d have a good chance to make it. He has a lot of pride in his country. But he was born in Canada so there’s a good opportunity for him on that team as well.”
Lyles averaged 21 points and 14.2 rebounds this past season and won Player of the Year in the city of Indianapolis.
The most interesting thing about Lyles, perhaps, is the fact that he committed to Indiana prior to his freshman year of high school.
It continues the stream of good news for the Indiana program, which scored a commitment from Paul VI (Va.) guard Stan Robinson Wednesday night.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)