May 17, 2012, 2:24 PM EDT
Indianapolis Tech (Ind.) forward Trey Lyles, a 6-8, 210-pound prospect from the Class of 2014, has announced that he will play for Canada at the FIBA Americas U18 Championship in Brazil next month.
Lyles, who was born in Canada, is committed to Indiana and is a Top 10 recruit in his class.
He is expected to play alongside Andrew Wiggins, the top player in 2014 and possibly the best prep player in the country right now.
“I know it was a tough decision for him,” Tech coach Jason Delaney told the Indianapolis Star. “The feedback from the USA team was that he’d have a good chance to make it. He has a lot of pride in his country. But he was born in Canada so there’s a good opportunity for him on that team as well.”
Lyles averaged 21 points and 14.2 rebounds this past season and won Player of the Year in the city of Indianapolis.
The most interesting thing about Lyles, perhaps, is the fact that he committed to Indiana prior to his freshman year of high school.
It continues the stream of good news for the Indiana program, which scored a commitment from Paul VI (Va.) guard Stan Robinson Wednesday night.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)