May 17, 2012, 10:31 AM EDT
Days after Virginia Commonwealth announced that it would be leaving the CAA for the Atlantic 10, another strong mid-major is fleeing the conference.
Old Dominion has scheduled a press conference for 2:30 p.m. Thursday and, according to David Teel of the Daily Press, the school will announce that it is moving to Conference USA.
Reports indicate that this move is driven by the football program, which would make the move to FBS to join C-USA.
The Monarch football team finished 10-3 last season and ended the season ranked 10th in the FCS.
The move would not be immediate for Old Dominion, which would reportedly wait until 2013-14 to switch conferences. This stands in contrast to Virginia Commonwealth, which will be moving to the A-10 immediately.
Conference USA will end up with 14 schools, now that Memphis, Central Florida, Houston, and Southern Methodist are leaving for the Big East, and the conference is bringing in Old Dominion, Charlotte, North Texas, Florida International, Louisiana Tech, and Texas-San Antonio.
Under head coach Blaine Taylor last season, ODU finished with a record of 22-14, including 13-5 in the CAA. The Monarchs lost to Mercer in the quarterfinals of the CIT tournament.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (2)