May 17, 2012, 10:31 AM EST
Days after Virginia Commonwealth announced that it would be leaving the CAA for the Atlantic 10, another strong mid-major is fleeing the conference.
Old Dominion has scheduled a press conference for 2:30 p.m. Thursday and, according to David Teel of the Daily Press, the school will announce that it is moving to Conference USA.
Reports indicate that this move is driven by the football program, which would make the move to FBS to join C-USA.
The Monarch football team finished 10-3 last season and ended the season ranked 10th in the FCS.
The move would not be immediate for Old Dominion, which would reportedly wait until 2013-14 to switch conferences. This stands in contrast to Virginia Commonwealth, which will be moving to the A-10 immediately.
Conference USA will end up with 14 schools, now that Memphis, Central Florida, Houston, and Southern Methodist are leaving for the Big East, and the conference is bringing in Old Dominion, Charlotte, North Texas, Florida International, Louisiana Tech, and Texas-San Antonio.
Under head coach Blaine Taylor last season, ODU finished with a record of 22-14, including 13-5 in the CAA. The Monarchs lost to Mercer in the quarterfinals of the CIT tournament.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)