May 17, 2012, 10:31 AM EDT
Days after Virginia Commonwealth announced that it would be leaving the CAA for the Atlantic 10, another strong mid-major is fleeing the conference.
Old Dominion has scheduled a press conference for 2:30 p.m. Thursday and, according to David Teel of the Daily Press, the school will announce that it is moving to Conference USA.
Reports indicate that this move is driven by the football program, which would make the move to FBS to join C-USA.
The Monarch football team finished 10-3 last season and ended the season ranked 10th in the FCS.
The move would not be immediate for Old Dominion, which would reportedly wait until 2013-14 to switch conferences. This stands in contrast to Virginia Commonwealth, which will be moving to the A-10 immediately.
Conference USA will end up with 14 schools, now that Memphis, Central Florida, Houston, and Southern Methodist are leaving for the Big East, and the conference is bringing in Old Dominion, Charlotte, North Texas, Florida International, Louisiana Tech, and Texas-San Antonio.
Under head coach Blaine Taylor last season, ODU finished with a record of 22-14, including 13-5 in the CAA. The Monarchs lost to Mercer in the quarterfinals of the CIT tournament.
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 0
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 4
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 4
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- Former Duke guard speaks publicly for first time since dismissal from team (5)