May 17, 2012, 10:31 AM EDT
Days after Virginia Commonwealth announced that it would be leaving the CAA for the Atlantic 10, another strong mid-major is fleeing the conference.
Old Dominion has scheduled a press conference for 2:30 p.m. Thursday and, according to David Teel of the Daily Press, the school will announce that it is moving to Conference USA.
Reports indicate that this move is driven by the football program, which would make the move to FBS to join C-USA.
The Monarch football team finished 10-3 last season and ended the season ranked 10th in the FCS.
The move would not be immediate for Old Dominion, which would reportedly wait until 2013-14 to switch conferences. This stands in contrast to Virginia Commonwealth, which will be moving to the A-10 immediately.
Conference USA will end up with 14 schools, now that Memphis, Central Florida, Houston, and Southern Methodist are leaving for the Big East, and the conference is bringing in Old Dominion, Charlotte, North Texas, Florida International, Louisiana Tech, and Texas-San Antonio.
Under head coach Blaine Taylor last season, ODU finished with a record of 22-14, including 13-5 in the CAA. The Monarchs lost to Mercer in the quarterfinals of the CIT tournament.
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)