May 17, 2012, 10:31 AM EDT
Days after Virginia Commonwealth announced that it would be leaving the CAA for the Atlantic 10, another strong mid-major is fleeing the conference.
Old Dominion has scheduled a press conference for 2:30 p.m. Thursday and, according to David Teel of the Daily Press, the school will announce that it is moving to Conference USA.
Reports indicate that this move is driven by the football program, which would make the move to FBS to join C-USA.
The Monarch football team finished 10-3 last season and ended the season ranked 10th in the FCS.
The move would not be immediate for Old Dominion, which would reportedly wait until 2013-14 to switch conferences. This stands in contrast to Virginia Commonwealth, which will be moving to the A-10 immediately.
Conference USA will end up with 14 schools, now that Memphis, Central Florida, Houston, and Southern Methodist are leaving for the Big East, and the conference is bringing in Old Dominion, Charlotte, North Texas, Florida International, Louisiana Tech, and Texas-San Antonio.
Under head coach Blaine Taylor last season, ODU finished with a record of 22-14, including 13-5 in the CAA. The Monarchs lost to Mercer in the quarterfinals of the CIT tournament.
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason (3)