May 17, 2012, 9:25 AM EDT
Tom Crean started the ascent back to the top one year early at Indiana and his 2012 class is one of the highest-rated in the nation, but on Wednesday night the Hoosiers added an important piece to their Class of 2013: Paul VI (Va.) guard Stanford Robinson.
At 6-4, 185 pounds, Robinson has the size to be a college shooting guard and brings the scoring ability that the Hoosiers could use in the backcourt. He averaged 14 points, six rebounds, and four assists per game this past season.
Robinson reportedly took an unofficial visit to Indiana on Monday. His high school coach, Glen Farello, took time to comment on the commitment.
“He felt very strong about the opportunity he had to play for coach (Tom) Crean,” Farello told the Herald-Times. “There was a lot of comfort level there with him and his staff and everything about Indiana basketball. There’s a lot to like obviously, and Stan just felt very comfortable.”
The key to Robinson’s commitment seems to be Indiana’s hiring of Towson assistant Kenny Johnson, a move that took place last month.
Johnson, a former assistant at Paul VI, coached at the Fairfax Catholic school from 2007-2011.
Johnson also coached with Team Takeover D.C., a prominent AAU program in the Washington D.C. area, a team for which Robinson plays.
“Between Kenny and Stan, there’s a bond there,” Farello continued. “The important thing that I stressed to Stan and his family is that, it’s nice that Kenny’s there, but you’ve gotta feel comfortable with Coach Crean and the players and the environment and the distance and all of those factors. It’s an added benefit to have that relationship there. … But he was so thorougly impressed by Coach Crean and the entire set up that is IU basketball.”
And the Hoosiers won’t be done in 2013.
Much of the focus now shifts to DeMatha (D.C.) forward BeeJay Anya, who is friendly with Robinson and also plays for Team Takeover. The 6-8, 265-pound Maryland native is a high priority for the Hoosiers in 2013.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)