May 17, 2012, 3:50 PM EDT
After one week of waiting for a decision, 6-8 North Carolina native Montrezl Harrell has been released from his letter of intent by Virginia Tech, Norm Wood of the Daily Press is reporting.
Harrell signed with the Hokies in November, set to play for then-head coach Seth Greenberg, but Greenberg was fired after the season and replaced by assistant James Johnson.
“We’d have loved to have kept him, but (Johnson’s) position is if the young man doesn’t want to be here with us on his own part, then we won’t keep him here,” associate athletic director for internal affairs Tom Gabbard told the Daily Press. “(Johnson) would like for him to be here, but you only get one chance in your life time to play college basketball.”
Though the news is coming to light Thursday, Gabbard says the school released him on Wednesday.
Harrell is a physically gifted and well-built forward who has garnered interest from schools that include Kentucky and Louisville. Prior to committing to Virginia Tech, he was considering schools that also included NC State and Cincinnati.
Gabbard told the Daily Press that Harrell will not be barred from signing with any other institution.
Now with Harrell moving on, the Hokies are left with eight scholarships for this upcoming season. They recently added UNC-Wilmington transfer Adam Smith, but he will need to sit out a season and will be eligible to play in 2013-14.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)