May 18, 2012, 11:26 PM EDT
Brooklynites (Brooklonians? Brookies?) are rightfully excited about the prospect of welcoming the NBA’s Nets to the borough next season. Even in if the team struggles, Brooklyn gets a major dose of glamor from Jay-Z and the celebrities who will no doubt follow him to courtside seats at the Barclays Center.
The windfall for college hoops fans will be excellent, as well, according to Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv: “Beginning in November, the new Barclays Center will host some of the most storied programs in college hoops,” he wrote. “including Kentucky, UCLA, Indiana, Maryland, Georgetown, Michigan, St. John’s, Notre Dame and West Virginia.”
The swanky new digs may help Steve Lavin keep local talent at home. While Madison Square Garden is a truly historic building with a funky charm all its own, modern athletic prodigies are more likely to be swayed by a shiny new court and up-to-date facilities than grotty landmarks. Not to mention, the cachet of the name Jay-Z. Jay- Z, people!
Lavin is clearly looking forward to the NYC recruiting coups he can pull off by getting down in front of local recruits:
“To play a local school like St. Francis at the new Barclays Center in Brooklyn is a natural fit,” said St. John’s head coach Steve Lavin. “Some of St. John’s most-prolific players and loyal fans throughout our storied history have roots that trace back to the borough of Brooklyn. This game and new venue presents a nice way to pay homage to that dimension of our legacy.”
The A-10 tournament will also be played in Brooklyn, with new members VCU and Butler bringing even more flash to the event.
- Gregg Marshall to remain at Wichita State, won’t visit Alabama 0
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)