May 18, 2012, 2:32 PM EST
According to Fox 19 in Cincinnati, Cronin cited Ellis’ inability to adhere to the program’s standard of conduct which led to his dismissal.
“Octavius didn’t adhere to the standard of conduct I expect from members of our team,” said Cronin. “I will work to help him find a fresh start at a new program because I do care very much for him as a person.
“I believe he can benefit from being in a new environment. That’s likely what will help him the best to learn and mature from this.”
Ellis was one of three Bearcats suspended for six games in the aftermath of their brawl with city rival Xavier back in December, and he finished the season with averages of 2.3 points and 1.7 rebounds per game.
He’s had anger issues in the past, as pointed out by CBSSports.com writer Gary Parrish. Dealing with those issues will be an important issue for Ellis and his family to address if he’s to be successful at his next stop.
After that brawl it was clear that more scrutiny would come with any mistake made. That means players can ill-afford to get themselves into situations like the night club altercation, lest they risk significant consequences.
It remains to be seen whether or not Cronin hands out any more discipline in relation to the night club incident.
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 1
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 3
- Senior starters once again carry No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing most important part: His One Shining Moment 0
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 0
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 1
- After win at No. 18 SMU, No. 11 Louisville is once again peaking in March 0
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)