May 18, 2012, 2:32 PM EST
According to Fox 19 in Cincinnati, Cronin cited Ellis’ inability to adhere to the program’s standard of conduct which led to his dismissal.
“Octavius didn’t adhere to the standard of conduct I expect from members of our team,” said Cronin. “I will work to help him find a fresh start at a new program because I do care very much for him as a person.
“I believe he can benefit from being in a new environment. That’s likely what will help him the best to learn and mature from this.”
Ellis was one of three Bearcats suspended for six games in the aftermath of their brawl with city rival Xavier back in December, and he finished the season with averages of 2.3 points and 1.7 rebounds per game.
He’s had anger issues in the past, as pointed out by CBSSports.com writer Gary Parrish. Dealing with those issues will be an important issue for Ellis and his family to address if he’s to be successful at his next stop.
After that brawl it was clear that more scrutiny would come with any mistake made. That means players can ill-afford to get themselves into situations like the night club altercation, lest they risk significant consequences.
It remains to be seen whether or not Cronin hands out any more discipline in relation to the night club incident.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (11)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (10)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)