May 18, 2012, 2:32 PM EDT
According to Fox 19 in Cincinnati, Cronin cited Ellis’ inability to adhere to the program’s standard of conduct which led to his dismissal.
“Octavius didn’t adhere to the standard of conduct I expect from members of our team,” said Cronin. “I will work to help him find a fresh start at a new program because I do care very much for him as a person.
“I believe he can benefit from being in a new environment. That’s likely what will help him the best to learn and mature from this.”
Ellis was one of three Bearcats suspended for six games in the aftermath of their brawl with city rival Xavier back in December, and he finished the season with averages of 2.3 points and 1.7 rebounds per game.
He’s had anger issues in the past, as pointed out by CBSSports.com writer Gary Parrish. Dealing with those issues will be an important issue for Ellis and his family to address if he’s to be successful at his next stop.
After that brawl it was clear that more scrutiny would come with any mistake made. That means players can ill-afford to get themselves into situations like the night club altercation, lest they risk significant consequences.
It remains to be seen whether or not Cronin hands out any more discipline in relation to the night club incident.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)