May 18, 2012, 2:32 PM EST
According to Fox 19 in Cincinnati, Cronin cited Ellis’ inability to adhere to the program’s standard of conduct which led to his dismissal.
“Octavius didn’t adhere to the standard of conduct I expect from members of our team,” said Cronin. “I will work to help him find a fresh start at a new program because I do care very much for him as a person.
“I believe he can benefit from being in a new environment. That’s likely what will help him the best to learn and mature from this.”
Ellis was one of three Bearcats suspended for six games in the aftermath of their brawl with city rival Xavier back in December, and he finished the season with averages of 2.3 points and 1.7 rebounds per game.
He’s had anger issues in the past, as pointed out by CBSSports.com writer Gary Parrish. Dealing with those issues will be an important issue for Ellis and his family to address if he’s to be successful at his next stop.
After that brawl it was clear that more scrutiny would come with any mistake made. That means players can ill-afford to get themselves into situations like the night club altercation, lest they risk significant consequences.
It remains to be seen whether or not Cronin hands out any more discipline in relation to the night club incident.
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)