May 18, 2012, 2:32 PM EST
According to Fox 19 in Cincinnati, Cronin cited Ellis’ inability to adhere to the program’s standard of conduct which led to his dismissal.
“Octavius didn’t adhere to the standard of conduct I expect from members of our team,” said Cronin. “I will work to help him find a fresh start at a new program because I do care very much for him as a person.
“I believe he can benefit from being in a new environment. That’s likely what will help him the best to learn and mature from this.”
Ellis was one of three Bearcats suspended for six games in the aftermath of their brawl with city rival Xavier back in December, and he finished the season with averages of 2.3 points and 1.7 rebounds per game.
He’s had anger issues in the past, as pointed out by CBSSports.com writer Gary Parrish. Dealing with those issues will be an important issue for Ellis and his family to address if he’s to be successful at his next stop.
After that brawl it was clear that more scrutiny would come with any mistake made. That means players can ill-afford to get themselves into situations like the night club altercation, lest they risk significant consequences.
It remains to be seen whether or not Cronin hands out any more discipline in relation to the night club incident.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 5
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 34
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 6
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 1
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 2
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (34)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)