May 18, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
– As we noted a few days ago, Creighton’s non-conference schedule next season is looking rather lackluster. No BCS-conference team wants to schedule a home-and-home series with them, and they weren’t given a marquee matchup in the MWC/MVC Showdown. But The White & Blue Review makes a good suggestion: The Blue Jays should try to schedule VCU. A December showdown between the Rams and Blue Jays would be arguably one of the biggest mid-major non-conference games of the season
– But Creighton isn’t the only mid-major power struggling to schedule a strong non-conference slate. Murray State is having issues too. But again, not very many big-time teams want to travel off the beaten path to take on Isiah Canaan and company
– The Colonial Athletic Association continues to crumble as Old Dominion officially announced they will be joining Conference-USA. What does the demise of the CAA mean for the Dukes of JMU?
– Dana O’Neil says that the CAA needs to do the right thing, which is to help the student-athletes
– So let me get this straight. SMU gains all this PR and media attention for hiring Larry Brown (Who, by the way, already reeled in two quality transfers) then they decide to nuke it all by firing their athletic director? Interesting move to say the least
– Lorie Fine came out swinging against ESPN, and the World Wide Leader does not look to be backing down at all
– Fran Fraschilla ranks the recruiting classes based of instant impact potential
– Myron Medcalf ranks the top incoming freshman based on instant impact potential
– Who are the ten biggest Pac-12 recruiting busts in the past ten years? Pacific Takes has your answers
– Baylor and Mississippi State have agreed to call off the two remaining non-conference games against each other. Speaking of Mississippi State, Dee Bost continues to befuddle the mind with odd NBA draft activity
– Mike Huguenin continues his preview of BCS-conference newcomers. Today he breaks down the fresh blood in the Big Ten
– CBS blogger Jeff Borzello (who, BTW, looks like he’s in 9th grade in his headshot) compiled a list of the ten best high school players since LeBron James. This list comes on the heels of Sports Illustrated’s recent cover featuring high school star Jabari Parker. The top player in the class of 2013 is Mormon, which may derail some thoughts about the “one and done” possibility
– UConn’s Shabazz Napier is never one to mince words. The rising junior spoke out about the exodus from Storrs and the NCAA ban
– With Texas A&M and Missouri entering the SEC, the always entertaining rivalry between Tennessee and Kentucky could see some unwanted changed
– Virginia Tech has finally released Montrezl Harrell from his LOI after a week of back and forth. Kentucky seems to be the clubhouse leader for his services at this point
– Despite popular opinion, the new early entry deadline actually benefited a few schools, like Oregon State, who was able to quickly land a recruit to fill the shoes of Draft-bound Jared Cunningham
– Highly touted point guard recruit Jaquan Lyles is being recruited by Nebraska……for football?
– A high school basketball referee in Kentucky was convicted on two counts of trafficking a controlled substance. For once, the refs were actually getting paid
– Finally, some footage of what Anthony Davis would look like without his trademark “unibrow”
Jul 30, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
The Crusaders are getting back the league’s defensive player of the year.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT
Tyndall’s one NCAA tournament win sure was memorable.
Jul 30, 2015, 12:03 PM EDT
The cousin of former Pitt forward Chevon Troutman has developed into a quality recruit himself.
Jul 30, 2015, 11:43 AM EDT
Jul 30, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Nigel Hayes has game. He doesn’t have bars.
Jul 29, 2015, 11:40 PM EDT
According to the report SMU met with the NCAA Committee on Infractions last month.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:35 PM EDT
Harding won’t join the program until 2018 however, as he’ll be taking his two-year LDS mission beforehand.
Jul 29, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT
Director of player personnel Travis Diener is pegged as the best player in the games, with he and assistant Chris Carrawell trading some good-natured shots at each other.
Jul 29, 2015, 8:17 PM EDT
Only Aqeel Quinn, who’s out of eligibility, made more three-pointers for the Aztecs last season than Shrigley.
Jul 29, 2015, 6:42 PM EDT
All three programs made Davis a focal point in Las Vegas last weekend.
Jul 29, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Notes on Vance Jackson, Brendan Bailey and Javonte Smart included.
Jul 29, 2015, 3:17 PM EDT
I’m OK with this becoming a thing all August.
Jul 29, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Tyson Waterman is the latest victim in the fallout from the Southern Miss scandal.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
That’s now two of Kentucky’s elite freshmen with concerns looming.
Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Bruce Pearl was fired by Tennessee for lying about a barbecue.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
See which schools are still in play for one of the top rising juniors
Jul 29, 2015, 9:24 AM EDT
Suhr was on staff with the ‘Bad Boys’.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:04 PM EDT
Elijah Bryant will have three years of eligibility remaining.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:43 PM EDT
The Arkansas forward was charged with one count of forgery last week.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The three-star forward failed to qualify earlier this month.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)