May 18, 2012, 4:13 PM EDT
It’s been a busy month for the VCU basketball program, as the Rams are headed to the Atlantic 10 beginning this fall.
But that move, along with the task of both recruiting and preparing his current players for next season, didn’t keep head coach Shaka Smart from graduating from SEAL TEAM physical training on Friday morning.
Smart, who led his team through an abbreviated version of the course during the fall, liked it so much that he took instructor John McGuire’s full two-week course himself.
The class required participants to be at Richmond’s Bryan Park at 5:45 am for ten days, and while McGuire said that he didn’t think Smart was much of a “morning person” the 35-year old head coach got the job done.
“I don’t think Shaka’s really a morning person, but he’s adapted very well,” said McGuire to Joe Macenka of the Richmond Times-Dispatch.
So why would Coach Smart put himself through this rigorous training? It has as much to do with comfort zones as it did enjoyment.
“It pushes you past your comfort level,” he said. “If you can get comfortable being uncomfortable, then you can push yourself to get better. That’s what we want in our players. That’s what we want in our program. It’s part of the foundation for everything we do.”
That same philosophy goes into VCU’s “havoc” system, one that’s built to benefit from putting their opponents in uncomfortable situations. VCU will need to call on that even more in their new conference.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)