May 19, 2012, 3:45 PM EST
UNLV has recruited some athletes in its past, and that trend should continue with 6-8 swingman Demetris Morant. More evidence came on Saturday.
According to Tristan Aird of the Las Vegas Review-Journal, Morant won the Nevada 4A State high jump at 6 feet, 10 inches.
Morant is a two-star prospect out of Bishop Gorman (Nev.), having played alongside top-rated prospect Shabazz Muhammad in high school.
Need proof of his hops? Check out his AAU dunk here.
Morant is part of a strong recruiting class for UNLV in 2012, led by newly signed Findlay Prep (Nev.) big man Anthony Bennett. In addition, the Rebels have signed Katin Reinhardt of Mater Dei (Calif.), DaQuan Cook of Baltimore, and Pittsburgh transfer Khem Birch, who will be eligible in the second semester.
The Rebels finished 26-9 last season, losing in the Round of 64 to Colorado. They will be returning forward Mike Moser, who led the team in scoring and rebounding last season.
Photo courtesy of OregonLive.com.
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 20 Most Improved Players 2
- College Hoops Week in Review: Wisconsin’s for real, and so is Chaz Williams 1
- Former Rutgers player Derrick Randall sues school over Mike Rice’s actions 2
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings 1
- Maurice Creek, George Washington proving to be a match made in heaven 0
- Professor at center of UNC’s academic fraud case to face felony charges (8)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)