May 23, 2012, 1:28 PM EDT
Patrick Beilein, the son of Michigan basketball coach John Beilein, has been hired by West Virginia Wesleyan College to become the school’s next head basketball coach.
“I have always wanted to be a head coach at the collegiate level and I thank President Balch and Athletic Director Randy Tenney for this opportunity,” Beilein said in a statement. “I am really looking forward to the challenges in front of us and am very happy to be coaching the Bobcats, as well as coming back to the great state of West Virginia.”
During his Division I career, Beilein played for his father, John, at West Virginia, averaging 7.7 points per game. He went on to play professionally in Ireland and also spent time with the Houston Rockets’ summer league team.
Beilein takes over at Wesleyan after being the director of basketball operations at Bradley, a position he held since 2011. Previous to that, he was an assistant coach at Dartmouth and a graduate assistant at Michigan, serving on his father’s coaching staff.
“West Virginia Wesleyan has a proud tradition of success in basketball,” Beilein continued. “We have our work cut out for us to re-establish consistency with our roster and coaching staff. I am anxious to get started and continue to build this program.”
The Bobcats finished 22-9 last season. Beilein takes over for head coach Jim Boone, who moved on to take the head coaching position at Delta State University.
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 5
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona