May 23, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
After spending a year in one of the most loaded prep school programs in the country at Hargrave Military Academy (Va.) it’s reasonable to assume that 6-7 forward Montrezl Harrell is ready to step in and be an impact freshman next season. Outside of Mississippi-based wing forward Devonta Pollard, Harrell is the only top-100 prospect in the country who doesn’t at least have a question mark about enrolling in college for Fall.
The coaching switcheroo at Virginia Tech predicated Harrell asking for and receiving a release from his letter of intent to the Hokies, which hurt even more as the Hokies also lost their prized recruit from the 2011 class, forward Dorian Finney-Smith, who is transferring. Harrell was the top dog signed by former coach Seth Greenberg.
According to Dave Telep of ESPN.com, Harrell narrowed his list on Monday to Louisville, Florida, Alabama and Cincinnati. With due respect to the Gators, Crimson Tide and Bearcats, he seems to be Bluegrass bound unless something changes. There is an association between former Hargrave coach Kevin Keatts, an assistant at Louisville, who initially recruited Harrell to play at Hargrave. Also, it has been widely reported that Harrell will try to visit Louisville first.
Alabama is one of only a few schools without a newcomer for next season, Florida needs a big man in their class, and Cincinnati is also pushing for post players, but Louisville appears to be the favorite in the race to land Harrell. While scholarships could be an issue for the Cardinals, their creative use of walk-ons this season could be repeated for Harrell to join the squad. Only point guard Terry Rozier is in the Cardinals class as it stands, and Harrell would be an important addition that could physically be ready to play as a freshman.
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M