May 23, 2012, 2:03 PM EST
Former UCLA forward Reeves Nelson is suing Sports Illustrated for defamation, following the publication of a revealing article about the UCLA program, TMZ is reporting.
The $10 million suit, in response to George Dohrmann’s article, published March 5, 2012, says that Dohrmann “recklessly and negligently failed to investigate” the claims in his piece.
Most notably of the claims in question is a detailed account of revenge, when Nelson reportedly urinated on the bed and clothes of a teammate who “squealed” about a New Year’s Eve party.
The lawsuit also cites claims that Nelson intentionally injured players in practice and that he was disciplined for fighting with teammates.
Nelson was dismissed from the team in December of 2011, after a second disciplinary suspension. During his sophomore season at UCLA, he averaged 13.9 points and 9.1 rebounds per game.
Keith Fink will be representing Nelson. Fink has been a part of a number of high-profile legal entertainment cases, including suits involving Ellen DeGeneres, Marilyn Manson, Courtney Love, and Kobe Bryant.
According to TMZ, the suit includes “declarations from 18 UCLA players and ex-players who deny every allegation about Nelson,” among them one from former Bruin Tyler Honeycutt, who claims that the urination incident never happened.
The suit is to be filed Wednesday in Los Angeles County Superior Court.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)