May 23, 2012, 2:03 PM EST
Former UCLA forward Reeves Nelson is suing Sports Illustrated for defamation, following the publication of a revealing article about the UCLA program, TMZ is reporting.
The $10 million suit, in response to George Dohrmann’s article, published March 5, 2012, says that Dohrmann “recklessly and negligently failed to investigate” the claims in his piece.
Most notably of the claims in question is a detailed account of revenge, when Nelson reportedly urinated on the bed and clothes of a teammate who “squealed” about a New Year’s Eve party.
The lawsuit also cites claims that Nelson intentionally injured players in practice and that he was disciplined for fighting with teammates.
Nelson was dismissed from the team in December of 2011, after a second disciplinary suspension. During his sophomore season at UCLA, he averaged 13.9 points and 9.1 rebounds per game.
Keith Fink will be representing Nelson. Fink has been a part of a number of high-profile legal entertainment cases, including suits involving Ellen DeGeneres, Marilyn Manson, Courtney Love, and Kobe Bryant.
According to TMZ, the suit includes “declarations from 18 UCLA players and ex-players who deny every allegation about Nelson,” among them one from former Bruin Tyler Honeycutt, who claims that the urination incident never happened.
The suit is to be filed Wednesday in Los Angeles County Superior Court.
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 0
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 3
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)