May 23, 2012, 3:20 PM EDT
Coming off of a season in which he averaged 17.9 points and 11.8 rebounds per game, Thomas Robinson has a reason to be confident. He is expected to be a Top 5 pick in June’s NBA draft. Another reason to be confident.
But here is where Robinson’s self confidence may have stretched a bit too far. In an interview with HOOPSWORLD, Robinson said he could overtake Kentucky forward Anthony Davis and be selected as the No. 1 overall pick.
“I think I’m very capable of being the number one pick,” Robinson told HOOPSWORLD. “No disrespect to Anthony Davis, he’s a great player. But at the same time, as a competitor, I do feel that I’m worthy of the number one pick.”
A modest and level-headed response, yes, but difficult to say with confidence that it could happen.
Despite Robinson’s stellar season, it is all but a lock that Davis will be taken with the first pick, with the greatest odds to the Charlotte Bobcats to grab him. Robinson, though, has his pitch to NBA teams.
“It’s just a confidence thing,” Robinson continued. “I feel like I’ve been a good shooter, I just needed the time and reps to get it up and now is the time to do it since I’m going to the next level. I just want to show people that I can step out and hit the shot too.”
Davis’ 14.3 points, 10 rebounds, and 4.7 blocks would be tough to pass up, especially considering Davis might just now be beginning to unlock his potential.
According to DraftExpress, Robinson is projected to be selected fourth overall by the New Orleans Hornets.
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 7
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 4
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (7)