May 23, 2012, 3:20 PM EST
Coming off of a season in which he averaged 17.9 points and 11.8 rebounds per game, Thomas Robinson has a reason to be confident. He is expected to be a Top 5 pick in June’s NBA draft. Another reason to be confident.
But here is where Robinson’s self confidence may have stretched a bit too far. In an interview with HOOPSWORLD, Robinson said he could overtake Kentucky forward Anthony Davis and be selected as the No. 1 overall pick.
“I think I’m very capable of being the number one pick,” Robinson told HOOPSWORLD. “No disrespect to Anthony Davis, he’s a great player. But at the same time, as a competitor, I do feel that I’m worthy of the number one pick.”
A modest and level-headed response, yes, but difficult to say with confidence that it could happen.
Despite Robinson’s stellar season, it is all but a lock that Davis will be taken with the first pick, with the greatest odds to the Charlotte Bobcats to grab him. Robinson, though, has his pitch to NBA teams.
“It’s just a confidence thing,” Robinson continued. “I feel like I’ve been a good shooter, I just needed the time and reps to get it up and now is the time to do it since I’m going to the next level. I just want to show people that I can step out and hit the shot too.”
Davis’ 14.3 points, 10 rebounds, and 4.7 blocks would be tough to pass up, especially considering Davis might just now be beginning to unlock his potential.
According to DraftExpress, Robinson is projected to be selected fourth overall by the New Orleans Hornets.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)