May 23, 2012, 3:20 PM EDT
Coming off of a season in which he averaged 17.9 points and 11.8 rebounds per game, Thomas Robinson has a reason to be confident. He is expected to be a Top 5 pick in June’s NBA draft. Another reason to be confident.
But here is where Robinson’s self confidence may have stretched a bit too far. In an interview with HOOPSWORLD, Robinson said he could overtake Kentucky forward Anthony Davis and be selected as the No. 1 overall pick.
“I think I’m very capable of being the number one pick,” Robinson told HOOPSWORLD. “No disrespect to Anthony Davis, he’s a great player. But at the same time, as a competitor, I do feel that I’m worthy of the number one pick.”
A modest and level-headed response, yes, but difficult to say with confidence that it could happen.
Despite Robinson’s stellar season, it is all but a lock that Davis will be taken with the first pick, with the greatest odds to the Charlotte Bobcats to grab him. Robinson, though, has his pitch to NBA teams.
“It’s just a confidence thing,” Robinson continued. “I feel like I’ve been a good shooter, I just needed the time and reps to get it up and now is the time to do it since I’m going to the next level. I just want to show people that I can step out and hit the shot too.”
Davis’ 14.3 points, 10 rebounds, and 4.7 blocks would be tough to pass up, especially considering Davis might just now be beginning to unlock his potential.
According to DraftExpress, Robinson is projected to be selected fourth overall by the New Orleans Hornets.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)