May 23, 2012, 3:20 PM EDT
Coming off of a season in which he averaged 17.9 points and 11.8 rebounds per game, Thomas Robinson has a reason to be confident. He is expected to be a Top 5 pick in June’s NBA draft. Another reason to be confident.
But here is where Robinson’s self confidence may have stretched a bit too far. In an interview with HOOPSWORLD, Robinson said he could overtake Kentucky forward Anthony Davis and be selected as the No. 1 overall pick.
“I think I’m very capable of being the number one pick,” Robinson told HOOPSWORLD. “No disrespect to Anthony Davis, he’s a great player. But at the same time, as a competitor, I do feel that I’m worthy of the number one pick.”
A modest and level-headed response, yes, but difficult to say with confidence that it could happen.
Despite Robinson’s stellar season, it is all but a lock that Davis will be taken with the first pick, with the greatest odds to the Charlotte Bobcats to grab him. Robinson, though, has his pitch to NBA teams.
“It’s just a confidence thing,” Robinson continued. “I feel like I’ve been a good shooter, I just needed the time and reps to get it up and now is the time to do it since I’m going to the next level. I just want to show people that I can step out and hit the shot too.”
Davis’ 14.3 points, 10 rebounds, and 4.7 blocks would be tough to pass up, especially considering Davis might just now be beginning to unlock his potential.
According to DraftExpress, Robinson is projected to be selected fourth overall by the New Orleans Hornets.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)