May 23, 2012, 3:20 PM EDT
Coming off of a season in which he averaged 17.9 points and 11.8 rebounds per game, Thomas Robinson has a reason to be confident. He is expected to be a Top 5 pick in June’s NBA draft. Another reason to be confident.
But here is where Robinson’s self confidence may have stretched a bit too far. In an interview with HOOPSWORLD, Robinson said he could overtake Kentucky forward Anthony Davis and be selected as the No. 1 overall pick.
“I think I’m very capable of being the number one pick,” Robinson told HOOPSWORLD. “No disrespect to Anthony Davis, he’s a great player. But at the same time, as a competitor, I do feel that I’m worthy of the number one pick.”
A modest and level-headed response, yes, but difficult to say with confidence that it could happen.
Despite Robinson’s stellar season, it is all but a lock that Davis will be taken with the first pick, with the greatest odds to the Charlotte Bobcats to grab him. Robinson, though, has his pitch to NBA teams.
“It’s just a confidence thing,” Robinson continued. “I feel like I’ve been a good shooter, I just needed the time and reps to get it up and now is the time to do it since I’m going to the next level. I just want to show people that I can step out and hit the shot too.”
Davis’ 14.3 points, 10 rebounds, and 4.7 blocks would be tough to pass up, especially considering Davis might just now be beginning to unlock his potential.
According to DraftExpress, Robinson is projected to be selected fourth overall by the New Orleans Hornets.
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 13
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 10
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 36
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field 15
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Updated tournament records: Kentucky moves SEC above .500 (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field (15)