May 24, 2012, 7:19 PM EDT
Tulsa’s new head coach Danny Manning has made a couple of late additions to his roster heading into the 2012-2013 season.
It started yesterday, as Rashad Ray — a 5-foot-11 point guard from New Orleans that was first-team all-state in Louisiana — committed to the school for this upcoming year. Ray didn’t receive a star-ranking from Rivals and had offers from schools like Arkansas-Little Rock and Tulane, but he is a point guard. With the injuries that Donte Medder has had to deal with throughout his career with the Golden Hurricane, depth at the point guard spot has been an issue for the program.
Manning followed up Ray’s commitment by landing Northeastern graduate transfer Kauri Black. Black averaged just 4.6 points and 3.2 rebounds last season for the Huskies, but he will provide some experience and depth in the front court for Tulsa as Manning tries to build a program.
Neither player will be a difference maker for the program, but with the Golden Hurricane losing Jordan Clarkson, Steven Idley and DJ Magley and a new regime coming in, Manning needs bodies. In addition to returnees Kodi Maduka, Scottie Haralson and Eric McClellan, Manning brings in a now-seven man recruiting class, headlined by St. Joseph’s transfer Patrick Swilling.
Manning has a long way to go to get Tulsa back to being one of the best mid-major programs in the country — particularly with Conference USA becoming less and less relevant with each passing cycle of realignment — but you can see him starting to build the framework.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)