May 24, 2012, 10:01 AM EDT
Kentucky head coach John Calipari, via his website yesterday, provided an overview of some scheduling highlights that are to come over the next few seasons.
Among the notable games are a renewal of Kentucky’s decade-long series with North Carolina, as well as a marquee game between the Wildcats and Baylor at Cowboys Stadium in Dallas.
“When we schedule, I want to create experiences, not just games,” Calipari said in the statement. “The thing about Kentucky basketball is it’s passed down from father to son. I want to schedule events that grandfathers and grandsons will be talking about 25 years from now.”
The event at Cowboys Stadium would be a doubleheader, featuring the two women’s teams in the first game, and would be expected to break the NCAA attendance record.
Calipari called the game an “Only at Kentucky” moment, and tickets sales from the event would be split evenly between the two schools.
“It’s an opportunity for both of our programs to do something that has never been done before – TO CREATE EXPERIENCES for our players and fans,” he wrote.
As for the matchup with North Carolina, Kentucky and UNC will not be playing in 2012-13, but will resume the series in 2013-14.
The most interesting point that Calipari made, though, was about scheduling in reference to venues. He pointed out the need to schedule at least one, if not two games per year in football stadiums, in an effort to prepare his teams for the NCAA tournament, where the later rounds are typically played in these larger venues.
“Not every program can play a regular-season game in a stadium like we can,” Calipari said. “The NCAA tournament plays half its regional games and the entire Final Four in those venues. Who do you think will be in those domes and stadiums? It will be us.”
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)