May 25, 2012, 8:14 PM EDT
When UNC point guard Kendall Marshall was injured in an NCAA tournament game against Creighton in March, a fractured wrist was listed as the official reason for his tragically curtailed sophomore season. Now, in an interview with the IMG Academy basketball blog, Marshall has revealed that his injury was more extensive than originally believed.
“My wrist is almost 100 percent,” he told the blog. “What people didn’t know is that I also fractured my elbow. That’s been the toughest thing for me to deal with, still not being able to go full contact. Hopefully, I’ll be ready to go by the Combine.”
As impressive as Marshall’s tolerance for physical pain has been, his ability to face emotional torment — in the form of internet heckling — may be even more impressive.
In season, I get anywhere from 15-25 Tweets per day of just pure recklessness. Keeping it PG, it’s stuff like “You suck” and “You can’t shoot.” Now, it’s “You’re overrated” and “You’re not going to get drafted high.” Even some Carolina fans come at me sideways now because I left school early. Maybe one every couple days I’ll give them a sarcastic response. You have to be able to laugh because these people don’t understand that you’re human and not on a pedestal.
It’s hard to feel too bad for Marshall on that score. His @kbutter5 account has been one of the most-followed accounts of any college hoops star, in large part because his quick wit and real talk are so much more interesting than the usual “Eating pizza tonight”-type messages.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte