May 26, 2012, 2:55 PM EDT
The Florida Gators have added size to their frontcourt, scoring a commitment from South Carolina transfer Damontre Harris, reports Dave Telep of ESPN.com.
Harris averaged 6.8 points, 5.5 rebounds, and 2.3 blocks per game last season for the Gamecocks, appearing in 31 games and playing close to 26 minutes per contest.
He had reportedly narrowed his list to Florida and Kansas, ultimately choosing Billy Donovan and the Gators.
South Carolina made a coaching change in the offseason, firing coach Darrin Horn and bringing in Frank Martin from Kansas State to fill the vacancy.
The Gamecocks are coming off a season in which they finished 10-21, including 2-14 in the SEC.
Harris, at 6-9, 225 pounds, will bring depth to the Gator frontcourt once he is eligible to play.
Billy Donovan missed out on big man Anthony Bennett of Findlay Prep (Nev.), who signed with UNLV from the Class of 2012, but Harris helps to make up for that loss.
Donovan is bringing in four guards from the Class of 2012, led by North Carolina native Braxton Ogbueze, and will bring in another highly rated guard, Kasey Hill, as a member of the high school class of 2013.
Out of high school, Harris was a Top 75 recruit.
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)