May 26, 2012, 2:55 PM EDT
The Florida Gators have added size to their frontcourt, scoring a commitment from South Carolina transfer Damontre Harris, reports Dave Telep of ESPN.com.
Harris averaged 6.8 points, 5.5 rebounds, and 2.3 blocks per game last season for the Gamecocks, appearing in 31 games and playing close to 26 minutes per contest.
He had reportedly narrowed his list to Florida and Kansas, ultimately choosing Billy Donovan and the Gators.
South Carolina made a coaching change in the offseason, firing coach Darrin Horn and bringing in Frank Martin from Kansas State to fill the vacancy.
The Gamecocks are coming off a season in which they finished 10-21, including 2-14 in the SEC.
Harris, at 6-9, 225 pounds, will bring depth to the Gator frontcourt once he is eligible to play.
Billy Donovan missed out on big man Anthony Bennett of Findlay Prep (Nev.), who signed with UNLV from the Class of 2012, but Harris helps to make up for that loss.
Donovan is bringing in four guards from the Class of 2012, led by North Carolina native Braxton Ogbueze, and will bring in another highly rated guard, Kasey Hill, as a member of the high school class of 2013.
Out of high school, Harris was a Top 75 recruit.
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 0
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- UConn lands former Seton Hall guard Sterling Gibbs, eligible immediately 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- NCAA rules committee proposes 30-second shot clock, fewer timeouts (5)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (4)