May 26, 2012, 2:55 PM EST
The Florida Gators have added size to their frontcourt, scoring a commitment from South Carolina transfer Damontre Harris, reports Dave Telep of ESPN.com.
Harris averaged 6.8 points, 5.5 rebounds, and 2.3 blocks per game last season for the Gamecocks, appearing in 31 games and playing close to 26 minutes per contest.
He had reportedly narrowed his list to Florida and Kansas, ultimately choosing Billy Donovan and the Gators.
South Carolina made a coaching change in the offseason, firing coach Darrin Horn and bringing in Frank Martin from Kansas State to fill the vacancy.
The Gamecocks are coming off a season in which they finished 10-21, including 2-14 in the SEC.
Harris, at 6-9, 225 pounds, will bring depth to the Gator frontcourt once he is eligible to play.
Billy Donovan missed out on big man Anthony Bennett of Findlay Prep (Nev.), who signed with UNLV from the Class of 2012, but Harris helps to make up for that loss.
Donovan is bringing in four guards from the Class of 2012, led by North Carolina native Braxton Ogbueze, and will bring in another highly rated guard, Kasey Hill, as a member of the high school class of 2013.
Out of high school, Harris was a Top 75 recruit.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 2
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)