May 27, 2012, 11:46 AM EDT
Etan Thomas, an NBA veteran and former forward for the Syracuse Orange, is taking on an important topic in his new book: fatherhood.
“Fatherhood: Rising to the Ultimate Challenge” features contributions from celebrities that include rapper and actor Ice Cube, former NBA great Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, actor Taye Diggs, and more.
“The importance of parenting is something that men do not talk about,” Thomas, 34, told the Post-Standard. “Women talk about it. But men don’t talk about it.”
“I also thought it was important because young people are bombarded with negative statistics. Where you’ll end up if you don’t have a father in your life,” he continued. “I wanted to show young people that you don’t have to be a negative statistic.”
Thomas played at Syracuse from 1996-2000, averaging 11 points and seven rebounds per game. As a senior, he was named to the Big East All-Defensive team.
He went on to be drafted 12th overall by the Dallas Mavericks in the 2000 NBA draft. Over the course of his professional career he has averaged 6.7 points and 5.3 rebounds per game.
Thomas’ book also included an interesting essay from former Georgetown coach John Thompson, who didn’t recruit Thomas out of high school, which, looking back, has been a point of jest for Thomas.
He explained his relationship with Thompson to the Post-Standard:
“I got close to Coach Thompson when I was with the (Washington) Wizards. We always talk about how they didn’t recruit me. My junior year, I had a great game against Georgetown and I went up to John Thompson and I said ‘You could’ve had me.’ He said ‘I know.’ After I got to know him, he and I talked about his special relationship with his father. The way he describes his relationship with his father in the book is really terrific.”
- Despite allegations Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 0
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional