May 27, 2012, 1:15 PM EDT
Since Jack Murphy left the Memphis staff to become the head coach at Northern Arizona, Josh Pastner has been looking for a replacement. It now appears he has found one.
Aki Collins, an assistant under Buzz Williams at Marquette, has been recommended to join the Memphis staff, reports Jason Smith of the Commercial-Appeal.
Collins had been with the Golden Eagles for four seasons, part of a staff that saw four NCAA tournament berths for Marquette, including two Sweet Sixteens.
Prior to his time at Marquette, Collins served under now-Providence head coach Ed Cooley, while Cooley was at Fairfield.
Collins has also spent time at Marshall, Howard, and Colorado, along with playing collegiately at Morehouse College and Clark Atlanta University.
Memphis finished last season with an overall record of 26-9, including 13-3 in the C-USA. The Tigers advanced to the Round of 32 of the NCAA tournament, before losing to St. Louis.
Memphis will be among a group of teams moving into the Big East in 2013-14. Others include Houston, Southern Methodist, UCF, and Temple. Temple is joining in football in 2012, but will become a full member in 2013.
Collins is a native of Brooklyn, N.Y., and was integral in the strong recruiting classes that Marquette has brought in in recent years.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte