May 27, 2012, 3:49 PM EST
This spring, NCAA coaches enjoyed a major deregulation of recruiting bylaws, allowing them to head out to AAU events for an evaluation period.
On June 15, another major change is coming.
Beginning on that date, coaches will be able to make an unlimited—yes, unlimited—number of phone calls and text messages to prospects who have finished their sophomore year of high school.
Currently, coaches can place only one call per month to a prospect from June 15 after his sophomore year to July 31 after his junior year. Here is the messy part of the rulebook that is full of loopholes: though coaches are limited in how many times they can reach out, players may call coaches as often as they like.
Though players may now be inundated with phone calls and text messages, deregulation is the right move for the NCAA. With the more increased focus on transfer rates and the ability of players to get to know a program before committing and heading to school, the more communication, the better.
Trying to regulate something as small as phone calls and text messages seems like a useless endeavor. As players feel more comfortable with a certain coach and can interact with them more often, they can get a better grasp on which schools truly want them and which have categorized them as an “option” more than a “priority.”
These rollbacks in enforcement are welcome. They actually put more power in the hands of players and parents to make decisions about their futures.
Quite a novel idea.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)