May 28, 2012, 3:00 AM EDT
Of the many injuries that a college basketball player can suffer, it’s a safe bet that there aren’t many who have been sidelined due to a shark bite.
That’s exactly what happened to Barry University basketball player Chad Renfro, who was bitten by a shark while surfing on a beach in Jacksonville.
The end result: 85 stitches, but luckily for Renfro his left foot is still there and he’ll be able to play basketball again.
The force of the bite was strong but Renfro managed to make it to shore even through the excruciating pain.
Lifeguards rushed in and transported Renfro to the hospital. The shark’s teeth were so sharp, they sliced a tendon and resulted in 85 stitches.
Renfro was relieved after he saw the damaged done by the shark. As a basketball player for Barry, he knew the bite wasn’t bad enough to keep him from playing ball. “It wasn’t as bad as losing your whole foot,” he said.
Renfro has to be a tough player to be able to make it back to shore in spite of the painful bite. If you can endure a shark attack does a long practice seem all that bad? Probably not.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 22
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (26)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)