May 28, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT
Indiana was already the favorite to win the Big Ten heading into the 2012-2013 season. Not only that, the Hoosiers were also the No. 1 team in the country by almost every preseason prognosticator. Cody Zeller, their star sophomore center, was already a favorite for National Player of the Year.
And all that was before Cody Zeller went and got bigger this spring.
“He looked big,” former Indiana head coach and current ESPN commentator Dan Dakich told CBSSports.com. “I mean, big. You know how some guys, when you get around them, they’re not as big as you think? And then other guys, you get around them and you’re like, ‘Oh my god!’ I’ve never done this before — never asked a kid how tall he is like I’m a fan in an airport. But I was like, ‘How tall are you? Have you grown?’”
And, according to Indiana’s current head coach Tom Crean, he has.
Which is a scary thought for college hoops fans.
Zeller was listed at 6-foot-11 and 230 pounds as a freshman, which is by no means a small human being. He averaged 16 points and six boards at the “smaller” size, which makes you wonder: just what is Zeller going to be capable of if he is, as Crean and Dakich indicate, bigger?
Did John Calipari know about Zeller’s increase in size when he decided he didn’t want any part of Assembly Hall?
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT