May 28, 2012, 2:04 AM EDT
Orlando Antigua was part of a national championship coaching staff this past season at Kentucky, and he’s worked under John Calipari for each of the last four seasons (one at Memphis).
Could his brother Oliver end up in the college coaching ranks? According to the New York Daily News there’s a chance that he may.
In a story by Mitch Abrahamson, Antigua has been in preliminary discussions with Manhattan head coach Steve Masiello about a position on the staff.
Antigua is currently the head coach at St. Raymond High School, which is located in the Bronx, where he won a CHSAA AA city title last season.
Masiello acknowledged that Antigua is a candidate, but there are many others who have interviewed for the position as well.
“He’s a candidate for the job, but I’m not even close to hiring anyone yet,” Masiello said in a phone interview. “I’ve interviewed probably 18 different candidates right now.”
Of Antigua, Masiello said, “We’ve had conversations about the job, yeah. But I’m in no rush to make a decision. I’m going to concentrate on recruiting and my team right now, and I’m not going to make a decision on that for quite a while.”
Masiello has already hired former Xavier assistant and New York native Rasheen Davis as his associate head coach.
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 1
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)