May 28, 2012, 2:04 AM EDT
Orlando Antigua was part of a national championship coaching staff this past season at Kentucky, and he’s worked under John Calipari for each of the last four seasons (one at Memphis).
Could his brother Oliver end up in the college coaching ranks? According to the New York Daily News there’s a chance that he may.
In a story by Mitch Abrahamson, Antigua has been in preliminary discussions with Manhattan head coach Steve Masiello about a position on the staff.
Antigua is currently the head coach at St. Raymond High School, which is located in the Bronx, where he won a CHSAA AA city title last season.
Masiello acknowledged that Antigua is a candidate, but there are many others who have interviewed for the position as well.
“He’s a candidate for the job, but I’m not even close to hiring anyone yet,” Masiello said in a phone interview. “I’ve interviewed probably 18 different candidates right now.”
Of Antigua, Masiello said, “We’ve had conversations about the job, yeah. But I’m in no rush to make a decision. I’m going to concentrate on recruiting and my team right now, and I’m not going to make a decision on that for quite a while.”
Masiello has already hired former Xavier assistant and New York native Rasheen Davis as his associate head coach.
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 8
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 0
- Oregon’s big win over No. 3 Arizona caps impressive regular season turnaround 1
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (8)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)