May 28, 2012, 2:04 AM EDT
Orlando Antigua was part of a national championship coaching staff this past season at Kentucky, and he’s worked under John Calipari for each of the last four seasons (one at Memphis).
Could his brother Oliver end up in the college coaching ranks? According to the New York Daily News there’s a chance that he may.
In a story by Mitch Abrahamson, Antigua has been in preliminary discussions with Manhattan head coach Steve Masiello about a position on the staff.
Antigua is currently the head coach at St. Raymond High School, which is located in the Bronx, where he won a CHSAA AA city title last season.
Masiello acknowledged that Antigua is a candidate, but there are many others who have interviewed for the position as well.
“He’s a candidate for the job, but I’m not even close to hiring anyone yet,” Masiello said in a phone interview. “I’ve interviewed probably 18 different candidates right now.”
Of Antigua, Masiello said, “We’ve had conversations about the job, yeah. But I’m in no rush to make a decision. I’m going to concentrate on recruiting and my team right now, and I’m not going to make a decision on that for quite a while.”
Masiello has already hired former Xavier assistant and New York native Rasheen Davis as his associate head coach.
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 12
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 6
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 10
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 2
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 2
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 (17)