May 29, 2012, 2:10 PM EST
If you live near the fine town of Haddonfield, N.J., you may soon be able to more soundly fill your pastry needs, courtesy of a 7-1 man named Brian Zoubek.
The former New Jersey State Player of the Year and national champion with the Duke Blue Devils is opening a store in his hometown for reasons that, he thinks, are self-evident.
“I’ve loved cream puffs my whole life,” Zoubek told Collingswood.Patch.com. “When I was growing up, I used to get them from another place in town.”
As the website reports, this isn’t the first entrepreneurial endeavor for Zoubek, as he opened a technology store in New York City with some friends from Duke, which he has since left.
During his senior season at Duke when the Blue Devils won the national championship, Zoubek averaged 5.6 points and 7.7 rebounds per game, including eight points and 10 rebounds against Butler in the title game.
He was undrafted out of college and went on to sign a contract with the New Jersey Nets, but was later cut.
Now he has turned to pastries.
Zoubek’s store will be called Cream Puff Creations, amended from “Heavenly Cream Puff Creations,” after that name didn’t align with city code that requires signs to have no more than three words.
Now, with everything in line, he is ready to pursue his second passion.
“I love to make cream puffs,” he told the website. “I’m just a fat kid, at heart.”
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)