May 29, 2012, 11:18 AM EST
Almost two months after announcing her retirement from the game of basketball, legendary Tennessee women’s basketball coach Pat Summitt will be honored by President Barack Obama and presented with the Medal of Freedom at a White House ceremony Tuesday.
Among those also receiving the award are astronaut John Glenn, author Toni Morrison, musician Bob Dylan, and Juliette Gordon Low, the founder of the Girl Scouts.
The Presidential Medal of Freedom is the highest honor that can be bestowed upon a civilian, made in recognition of an “especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, or world peace, or cultural or other significant public or private endeavors.”
Summitt retired in mid-April, months after revealing that she had been diagnosed with early-onset dementia.
Over her 38 seasons with Tennessee, Summitt compiled a record of 1098-208, winning 16 SEC tournament championships and eight national titles.
She was named NCAA Coach of the Year eight times and the Naismith Coach of the Century in 2000.
In 2008, Summitt pledged $600,000 to the University of Tennessee, with her donation going to fund the women’s basketball program.
Summitt has been a member of the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame since 1999.
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 2
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)