May 30, 2012, 8:44 PM EST
The last time Anthony Davis played in New Orleans, he won Most Outstanding Player after leading Kentucky to its eighth national title.
So maybe he won’t mind going back.
The New Orleans Hornets won the NBA draft lottery Wednesday night, claiming the No. 1 overall pick in 2012. They’ll almost certainly draft Davis, the national player of the year and the consensus top player available. It’ll help ease the rough transition from the Chris Paul era into one that’ll feature the most promising defenders to enter the NBA since Greg Oden. (Not that Davis is Oden. Fingers crossed. Now I feel badly for even associating Davis with Oden, the man with the worst knees in NBA history.)
Hmmm. Good luck, Anthony.
After New Orleans, the order goes like this:
2. Charlotte Bobcats
3. Washington Wizards
4. Cleveland Cavaliers
5. Sacramento Kings
6. Portland Trail Blazers (via Nets)
7. Golden State Warriors
8. Toronto Raptors
9. Detroit Pistons
10. New Orleans Hornets (via Minnesota)
11. Portland Trail Blazers
12. Milwaukee Bucks
13. Phoenix Suns
14. Houston Rockets
Apparently the Bobcats will be snagging Barnes (though at No. 2 or by trading down, I don’t know), which means the Wiz could give John Wall some instant help by taking either Bradley Beal or Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. Either would be better than what Washington has now.
Part of me is hoping Sacramento takes Andre Drummond and pairs him with DeMarcus Cousins to form a new version of the twin towers. Just one that would frustrate Kings fans to no end. That’d be amusing.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 2
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 1
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)