May 30, 2012, 2:56 PM EST
John Calipari and Bobby Knight have what you could call a contemptuous relationship.
The latest round of hostility began last April, when Knight said during a speaking engagement in Wabash, IN, that “Kentucky, year before last, started five players in the NCAA tournament games that had not been to class that semester. That’s that one and done philosophy”,video of which managed to find its way onto youtube and go viral.
Besides the fact that the statement was inaccurate, it was a point on contention given that Knight’s current job is as a college hoops commentator for ESPN. His distaste for Big Blue Nation became more obvious during the season as he refused to mention Coach Cal or the Kentucky team during the season.
Clearly, Coach Cal was not happy hearing any of this. And in typical Coach Cal fashion, he found a way to not-so-subtly take a shot at Knight.
Kentucky managed a team GPA of 3.12 during the spring semester, which includes the grades of the five players that left school early for the NBA Draft. In a statement released on Friday, Cal said “all this stuff bitter old men say that they don’t go to class, it’s not true.”
When I picture Cal saying this, he’s giving Knight the finger while wearing his national championship ring.
Now only if he wasn’t afraid to play Indiana at Assembly Hall … (the streak continues!)
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)