May 31, 2012, 12:24 PM EDT
The last few months have brought a good deal of speculation about the future of Duke guard Andre Dawkins, ranging anywhere from rumors that he was to be kicked off the team to the notion that he would redshirt.
On Wednesday, Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski told the Associated Press that “Andre’s situation, right now we’re looking more as a redshirt situation,” but that a final decision about his future would not be made until the fall, closer to the beginning of the season.
Dawkins averaged 8.5 points and 2.1 rebounds last season for the Blue Devils, who finished 27-7, including 13-3 in the ACC, and were eliminated in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament by underdog Lehigh.
Last month, the brewing speculation caused Duke to release a statement about his standing with the program.
“Andre Dawkins remains a member of the Duke basketball program,” the statement read. “There is a possibility of him redshirting next season but no decision will be made on that until the fall.”
According to Dawkins’ father, the younger Dawkins is reportedly still coping with the death of his sister in a 2009 car accident.
Duke has two players signed from the Class of 2012 to help on the perimeter, Amile Jefferson and Rasheed Sulaimon, but will be losing leading scorer Austin Rivers.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)