May 31, 2012, 12:24 PM EDT
The last few months have brought a good deal of speculation about the future of Duke guard Andre Dawkins, ranging anywhere from rumors that he was to be kicked off the team to the notion that he would redshirt.
On Wednesday, Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski told the Associated Press that “Andre’s situation, right now we’re looking more as a redshirt situation,” but that a final decision about his future would not be made until the fall, closer to the beginning of the season.
Dawkins averaged 8.5 points and 2.1 rebounds last season for the Blue Devils, who finished 27-7, including 13-3 in the ACC, and were eliminated in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament by underdog Lehigh.
Last month, the brewing speculation caused Duke to release a statement about his standing with the program.
“Andre Dawkins remains a member of the Duke basketball program,” the statement read. “There is a possibility of him redshirting next season but no decision will be made on that until the fall.”
According to Dawkins’ father, the younger Dawkins is reportedly still coping with the death of his sister in a 2009 car accident.
Duke has two players signed from the Class of 2012 to help on the perimeter, Amile Jefferson and Rasheed Sulaimon, but will be losing leading scorer Austin Rivers.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 1
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)