May 31, 2012, 12:24 PM EST
The last few months have brought a good deal of speculation about the future of Duke guard Andre Dawkins, ranging anywhere from rumors that he was to be kicked off the team to the notion that he would redshirt.
On Wednesday, Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski told the Associated Press that “Andre’s situation, right now we’re looking more as a redshirt situation,” but that a final decision about his future would not be made until the fall, closer to the beginning of the season.
Dawkins averaged 8.5 points and 2.1 rebounds last season for the Blue Devils, who finished 27-7, including 13-3 in the ACC, and were eliminated in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament by underdog Lehigh.
Last month, the brewing speculation caused Duke to release a statement about his standing with the program.
“Andre Dawkins remains a member of the Duke basketball program,” the statement read. “There is a possibility of him redshirting next season but no decision will be made on that until the fall.”
According to Dawkins’ father, the younger Dawkins is reportedly still coping with the death of his sister in a 2009 car accident.
Duke has two players signed from the Class of 2012 to help on the perimeter, Amile Jefferson and Rasheed Sulaimon, but will be losing leading scorer Austin Rivers.
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 0
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)