May 31, 2012, 12:24 PM EDT
The last few months have brought a good deal of speculation about the future of Duke guard Andre Dawkins, ranging anywhere from rumors that he was to be kicked off the team to the notion that he would redshirt.
On Wednesday, Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski told the Associated Press that “Andre’s situation, right now we’re looking more as a redshirt situation,” but that a final decision about his future would not be made until the fall, closer to the beginning of the season.
Dawkins averaged 8.5 points and 2.1 rebounds last season for the Blue Devils, who finished 27-7, including 13-3 in the ACC, and were eliminated in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament by underdog Lehigh.
Last month, the brewing speculation caused Duke to release a statement about his standing with the program.
“Andre Dawkins remains a member of the Duke basketball program,” the statement read. “There is a possibility of him redshirting next season but no decision will be made on that until the fall.”
According to Dawkins’ father, the younger Dawkins is reportedly still coping with the death of his sister in a 2009 car accident.
Duke has two players signed from the Class of 2012 to help on the perimeter, Amile Jefferson and Rasheed Sulaimon, but will be losing leading scorer Austin Rivers.
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- Ron Baker was the best college player for Team USA at Pan-Am Games (2)
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble (2)