May 31, 2012, 12:24 PM EST
The last few months have brought a good deal of speculation about the future of Duke guard Andre Dawkins, ranging anywhere from rumors that he was to be kicked off the team to the notion that he would redshirt.
On Wednesday, Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski told the Associated Press that “Andre’s situation, right now we’re looking more as a redshirt situation,” but that a final decision about his future would not be made until the fall, closer to the beginning of the season.
Dawkins averaged 8.5 points and 2.1 rebounds last season for the Blue Devils, who finished 27-7, including 13-3 in the ACC, and were eliminated in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament by underdog Lehigh.
Last month, the brewing speculation caused Duke to release a statement about his standing with the program.
“Andre Dawkins remains a member of the Duke basketball program,” the statement read. “There is a possibility of him redshirting next season but no decision will be made on that until the fall.”
According to Dawkins’ father, the younger Dawkins is reportedly still coping with the death of his sister in a 2009 car accident.
Duke has two players signed from the Class of 2012 to help on the perimeter, Amile Jefferson and Rasheed Sulaimon, but will be losing leading scorer Austin Rivers.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 0
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 1
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)