Jun 1, 2012, 6:43 PM EST
2012 forward Devonta Pollard made his decision on Friday, announcing that he will attend Alabama in the fall.
Alabama beat out Missouri, Georgetown, Texas and LSU for his services, and picked up a much-needed front court prospect.
A five-star prospect from Porterville, Mississippi, Pollard is ranked 22nd in Rivals’ final 2012 player rankings and 25th in Scout’s final 2012 rankings.
This is big for Anthony Grant and the Crimson Tide on two fronts. First off, they’d yet to sign anyone in the 2012 recruiting class.
And secondly, Alabama has to account for the losses of JaMychal Green and Tony Mitchell (dismissed from the team before the season ended) in 2012-13.
Pollard will be a good option for Alabama at the three (or four), and his versatility affords Grant and his staff the opportunity to use him in a variety of ways.
Nick Jacobs is Alabama’s most productive front court returnee with 7-footers Moussa Guerre and Carl Engstrom both looking to earn more playing time next season.
Adding a player of Pollard’s quality will definitely help the Crimson Tide make another NCAA tournament appearance.
Photo credit: Brian Spurlock/US Presswire
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)