Jun 1, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
Last week, we learned that Kansas recruit Perry Ellis earned a perfect 4.0 from Wichita Heights high school, and served as one of the school’s valedictorians on graduation day. Lest the KU commit come off as just a goody two-shoes, today’s news should remind us that he’s a pretty darn good basketball player, as well.
The National High School Coaches Association named Ellis national player of the year this week, capping off a sensational prep career. Ellis was the Kansas player of the year for all four years of high school, and led Wichita Heights to four straight 6A titles, the highest division in the state.
The 6’8″ forward averaged 25.8 points and 9.4 rebounds per game as a senior, and his overall high school career eclipsed that of a well-known former Jayhawk. Ellis’ 2,231 career points put him well past Wichitan Greg Dreiling, who starred at center for KU in the mid-1980s. Dreiling’s previous record of 1,888 points as a Wichita high schooler stood for 31 years before Ellis came along.
Ellis will join Kansas in time to go on a four-game exhibition swing through Switzerland and France this summer. He will be the star attraction of a five-man recruiting class that needs all the early practice it can get as the freshmen attempt to step in and play at a high level for last season’s runners-up for the national title.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He believes that kickboxing is the sport of the future.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)