Jun 1, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
Last week, we learned that Kansas recruit Perry Ellis earned a perfect 4.0 from Wichita Heights high school, and served as one of the school’s valedictorians on graduation day. Lest the KU commit come off as just a goody two-shoes, today’s news should remind us that he’s a pretty darn good basketball player, as well.
The National High School Coaches Association named Ellis national player of the year this week, capping off a sensational prep career. Ellis was the Kansas player of the year for all four years of high school, and led Wichita Heights to four straight 6A titles, the highest division in the state.
The 6’8″ forward averaged 25.8 points and 9.4 rebounds per game as a senior, and his overall high school career eclipsed that of a well-known former Jayhawk. Ellis’ 2,231 career points put him well past Wichitan Greg Dreiling, who starred at center for KU in the mid-1980s. Dreiling’s previous record of 1,888 points as a Wichita high schooler stood for 31 years before Ellis came along.
Ellis will join Kansas in time to go on a four-game exhibition swing through Switzerland and France this summer. He will be the star attraction of a five-man recruiting class that needs all the early practice it can get as the freshmen attempt to step in and play at a high level for last season’s runners-up for the national title.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He believes that kickboxing is the sport of the future.
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)