Jun 1, 2012, 7:50 PM EST
Last week, we learned that Kansas recruit Perry Ellis earned a perfect 4.0 from Wichita Heights high school, and served as one of the school’s valedictorians on graduation day. Lest the KU commit come off as just a goody two-shoes, today’s news should remind us that he’s a pretty darn good basketball player, as well.
The National High School Coaches Association named Ellis national player of the year this week, capping off a sensational prep career. Ellis was the Kansas player of the year for all four years of high school, and led Wichita Heights to four straight 6A titles, the highest division in the state.
The 6’8″ forward averaged 25.8 points and 9.4 rebounds per game as a senior, and his overall high school career eclipsed that of a well-known former Jayhawk. Ellis’ 2,231 career points put him well past Wichitan Greg Dreiling, who starred at center for KU in the mid-1980s. Dreiling’s previous record of 1,888 points as a Wichita high schooler stood for 31 years before Ellis came along.
Ellis will join Kansas in time to go on a four-game exhibition swing through Switzerland and France this summer. He will be the star attraction of a five-man recruiting class that needs all the early practice it can get as the freshmen attempt to step in and play at a high level for last season’s runners-up for the national title.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He believes that kickboxing is the sport of the future.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 1
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)